330xi rear hip room - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scsnospam is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am hoping to purchase my first BMW, a 330xi. However, a significant hurdle is convincing my wife about using a car seat in the back. Exactly how much hip room/ shoulder room do you have in practice ?

Googling for rear hip room returns numbers like 56 in (1438mm), almost the same as Accords and Camrys !! In real life however, it looks much smaller.

So my question is, can you fit a child seat in the center, and have an adult sit in the outboard sit comfortably ?? For longer drives ?

We currently use our Honda Civic, and that's barely acceptable.

Thanks for your help, folks.

BK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Neutral Member

cakman2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cakman2 Send a message via MSN to cakman2 Send a message via Yahoo to cakman2

I have my kid's car seat in the rear passenger side. I would rather fit one more adult comfortably, maybe 2 small ones, than have the car seat taking up all that space in the back. Technically you could do it the way you propose, but it would only be comfortable to small people. I think shoulder and elbow room is the real concern more than hip room, of which there is probably plenty. Ultimately, if you want a kid hauler, this aint your car. I should note that I got mine specifically so that I could hall my kid around. Used to have a 2 seater, so I think the thing is a Suburban in comparison. Kind of depends on your expectations. Get a an X3.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 02:25 PM
5th Gear Member

Spetsnaz Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spetsnaz Op
The 3 series is a tiny car.... i cant even fit in the back of an E36 M3 with any real level of comfort and i am like 5" 8'. If I were you I would consider an S60R or an S60 AWD or an S60 T5. The R and AWD are both AWD.

Plus Volvo seats > BMW seats. If you dont believe me just hop down to the volvo stealer...

Certified Alaska BMW Snow Warrior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)