330i Touring - the never ending fight for the wheel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
plodge is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
330i Touring - the never ending fight for the wheel

I've had my 330i Touring for a while now - and I've never got to the bottom of the problem.

The car eats camber - and on some roads, if you dont have two hands on the wheel, it will sling you into the side of the road. I'm forever playing around with the tyre pressures to no avail. Even in a straight line it wanders slightly left and right as if there's a very strong wind. Always has done.

In the past 7 years, I've had a few sets of tyres, had the entire car 4 wheel algined many many times, and certainly with fresh rubber it's much much worse.

I've had the bushes replaced so it can't be that.

I've got the 18" wheels - does anyone know the correct pressures for normal use on a 330i Touring - PSI in the book suggests about 44 for the rears, and 37 for the fronts.

Or anything else I should be looking at ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
n00b

HENNARED is on a distinguished road
Had a same probem few years ago on a car.Turn out to be the rims in the end.It were involved in an accident and repaired by the previous owner of the car,he had it fixed at a local rim repair shop..they didn't fixed it up to standardsSo it cost me a brand new set of rims to be replaced..
#3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Rims ?

By rims are you referring to the wheels rather than the tyres ?

From new, the car was a disaster - serious shaking at speed on the motorway. In the end, the garage replaced all 4 wheels and tyres from a demo car, and the problem was massively reduced. I've had the same wheels on ever since.

What was the actual fix ?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
as far as the shaking is concerned, i would say that may have come from improperly balanced tires, or a belt separated in the tire itself...( i should know, i have a 17 w/ a separated belt)

have you had the bearings/hubs checked? Not familiar with newer models, but that is what i would check on the older ones.

Good luck in your hunt for th culprit

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 AM
n00b

Yes,overhere in SA the wheels are called rims..sorry about that mate...The actual fix for me was to replace the whole combo of wheels and tyres..If i were you i would borow a set from somebody and slap it on the car to see what it does..if it is still the same then i would say you got a suspension problem on your car..Let it be checked if it was'nt in a accident before...by a panelbeater shop that are into Bmw's..
#6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Mebe I should go to a dealer with a similar age car, same 330i Touring, and see what it's like on a demo drive :-)
#7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
n00b

The shocks could be a problem a culprit aswell..
#8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Had both rear shocks replaced last year, and front CV's last year too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)