#1 ·
330i & 330ci.
Performance Package Now Available on 330i Coupes

I am wondering whether it is possible to get performance package
with leather interior. They claim that performance package comes
with cloth and Alcantara sport seats matching the Alcantara sport
steering wheel... I wanted to cancel my 330ci because I learned in
March 2004 it will be available with performance package, but I really
want to get leather. Cloth just does not work for me...

Thanks.

#2 ·
dude:

if i may offer a counterpoint:

the cloth/alcantara combo RULES. it is really one of better seats i've ever seen in a car, functionally and estehthically. super comfy, good side bolsters, all over cool.

reconsider leather: imho the bmw leather sucks bad. very slick, your arse will slide all over in turns, your privates will either freeze or boil depending on the season. i do believe that leather is available on pp, in gray or black.

peter

#3 ·
Other than aesthetic changes, what does the performance package really offer (other than 10 HP and 300 RPM)?

Just wondering what justifies the $3900??? I also notice that you can't get the Premium Package, does the Performance Package include the Premium in it???

#4 ·
YES, the Performance Package is worth the 3900 bucks. Here's why:

1)The ten more HP, in concert with some other technical crap I don't understand, gives the car a one-half second advantage 0-60 over the standard 330.
2)The shifter is different (ie, shorter) than on the other 330s, making the car easier/quicker/more fun to drive.
3)It sounds better than other 330s (more throaty) due to a different exhaust that not only sounds better, but also looks better.
4)The styling is more aggressive than a 330 sport package, and has lots of additional little features.

As for whether the Perf. Pkg. includes "Premium Package", I think that it does. I am not exactly sure what's in the premium package (because what's in the premium package varies from model to model--try asking a BMW salesman to tell you what's in the premium package for any given model and they'll tell you they have to look it up), but I know that my Performance Package pretty much has everything in it.

As for the Alcantara, I think it's crap. My car has leather, so all I have that's Alcantara is the steering wheel and the skirt around the shifter. But, even after 2500 miles, I can already feel the Alcantara wearing away on the wheel. I can only imagine what would happen if I had it on my seats (ie, pounding toxic fumes from my arse into it for a few years). I would ante up and buy the leather.
the cloth/alcantara combo RULES. it is really one of better seats i've ever seen in a car, functionally and estehthically. super comfy, good side bolsters, all over cool. reconsider leather: imho the bmw leather sucks bad. very slick, your arse will slide all over in turns, your privates will either freeze or boil depending on the season. i do believe that leather is available on pp, in gray or black.
By the way, I do agree that the Alcantara LOOKS great and FEELS great--I am just dubious as to whether it will last!

In short, for $45g, you're getting far more car than $45g will get you in a 330ci. Great car, blows my beloved old A4s out of the water!

#5 ·
cannot comment on the durability. i have a couch made of the same stuff: survived attacks by my cat and my arse. i will report if i think it is wearing thin... (the bmw, not the couch).

PP IS SOOO WORTH IT IS UNBVELIEVABLE!!!!

the technical crap (light flywheel, remapped ignition, different cams, different suspension, shorter final drive, etc etc) makes this car PERFECT. i would not care about the second or whatever in measured acceleration times, it does not (as always in these tests) do justice to what the car feels like in real driving.

lightning fast throttle response, truly phenomenal steering feel (calm yet extremely precise and sensitive), comfortable but stiff suspension, very little but progressive roll, excellent short throw shifter.

the only problem is that the rear tyres are too wide. this can be very easily addressed (damn the stupid dsc), just as soon the car is broken in :driving

also, there is no comparison to sport package, which i think is about $1500. the pp car handles like an m3 or BETTER, it is just much slower.

worth way more than 3900 (i paid invoice i.e. 3550). just try to calculate the schnitzer or dinan options to get to the pp level of performance....., not to mention warranty problems with chiped cars (dinan aside)....

peter

#6 ·
Originally posted by TheFlashback@Dec 30 2003, 05:47 AM
330i & 330ci.

Thanks.
Hey, I don't think this is correct. BMW introduced the 330i Perf Pkg because there's no 4 door E46 M3. So many E36 4 door M3s were sold that they thought there was a significant untapped market segment now of people who would buy something between a 330i and an M3, so rather than trying to engineer a whole new car for only half the model's cycle, they just decided to pimp out a 330i.
If they created a 330ci Perf Pkg, all they would be doing is canibalizing their M3 sales, unless they think that there is a significant market segment somewhere in the $47k-51k range. Frankly, I just can't imagine that it would be worth it at this point in the E46 cycle to try to milk this extremely narrow price point.

#10 ·
no keep the alcantara. u cant have leather bc u get really nice seats that come only in alcantara. the only way would be to sell the seats and buy some leatehr seats and put em in.

#11 ·
I have a ‘04 330i with the performance package (zhp) with black leather. I was concerned about the durability of the alcantara on the seats so I opted for the leather. Being in the mid-west I also got the cold weather package, wish seat cooling was offered on this model – on season covered anyway.

#12 ·
Originally posted by ConnieLynnGus+Dec 30 2003, 08:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ConnieLynnGus @ Dec 30 2003, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheFlashback@Dec 30 2003, 05:47 AM
330i & 330ci.

Thanks.
Hey, I don't think this is correct. BMW introduced the 330i Perf Pkg because there's no 4 door E46 M3. So many E36 4 door M3s were sold that they thought there was a significant untapped market segment now of people who would buy something between a 330i and an M3, so rather than trying to engineer a whole new car for only half the model's cycle, they just decided to pimp out a 330i.
If they created a 330ci Perf Pkg, all they would be doing is canibalizing their M3 sales, unless they think that there is a significant market segment somewhere in the $47k-51k range. Frankly, I just can't imagine that it would be worth it at this point in the E46 cycle to try to milk this extremely narrow price point. [/b][/quote]
To ConnieLynnGus... yes, the 2door (330ci) will be available in performance package (ZHP) in 2004. I already saw the 330ci w/ ZHP at the L.A. auto show (Jan. 2, 04)... and to the other gentleman that ask about the leather opt. for performance package... yes, it is available, I have 2003, 330i w/ performance package and I paid for grey leather interior, moon roof, exon lights, rear fold down seats... everything else was standard... so, if you have problem w/ the dealer, let me know... because I have one w/ leather....

#14 ·
You sure as hell can get leather. I have a red 2003 330i w/ Performance Package. Leather isn't that great though, a litte rough and if you don't get heated leather seats, and you live in the cold areas of the country you'll be thawing in the spring to say the least. Get the leather or leatherette. It's what you really want. My 330i below.

Attachments

#15 ·
Word is that you can get the PP on the new 330's starting shortly. If they'd had that option 3 months ago, I'd have probably ordered it. As it is I have a 330cic with the 6 speed, sport package and a couple of other options.

The main draw of the PP for me would have been the short shifter and the different rear end ratio. I don't know if the modest HP gain would be that helpful. I understand there is a lighter flywheel in the PP as well and I understand that makes the engine more responsive.

I'll be adding a UUC short shifter as soon as UUC ships for the E46/6speed. It'll be about $330. I am reluctant to spend the money on the rear end. When the warranty is up, I may supercharge it.

Overall the 330 is very pleasant to drive without the PP. With a supercharger available for about $6000, that $3900 for the PP seems like a lot.

:bimmer

#18 ·
Performace package is freakin awesome. Not quite an M3, but man they are getting close. This thing handles like NOTHING I've ever driven before. ALcantara is awesome...I upgraded to leather, but wish I hadn't. Only downfall....1/2 inch of snow (or more) renders the car undriveable. Wish I had something else to drive in the winter months out here in the midwest.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.