330Ci Power loss - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Blue Ninja is on a distinguished road
330Ci Power loss

Can anybody help diagnose this problem, a recent service did not help and apparently nothing showed up in the diagnostic - which I was surprised about since I am convinced this is an electronics/sensor problem rather than mechanical.
Hopefully someone who has experienced a similar problem can help since BMW main dealer was unable to.

Car runs fine from cold and keeps running fine until it slows for a while, eg queuing for a roundabout or roadworks, after this it seems to loose all low down power. It is really noticeable in all gears and feels like it has no power/torque from low revs. Thing is, if I stop and switch off ignition then go again it's back to normal full power, this is what makes me think it's something electronic.

It has been getting worse recently with the problem occurring during motorway driving, accelerate in fifth to overtake one minute & everything is fine, next time there is no power and that’s it gone till next restart. And has got to the stage that, when it's warm, even a restart doesn't sort the problem.

Anybody experienced this sort of problem or have any idea what's causing it? Any advice greatly appreciated as this is really starting to put me off the car I loved so much.

Cheers

Graham
Blue Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
bow
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bow will become famous soon enoughbow will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bow
hey!welcome to werkz!hope you enjoy it!ummmmmmmm SOUNDS electrical but dont take my word for it.prob a sensor.thats just my guess!
bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2002 330ci
Photos:
robsc is on a distinguished road
This could sound weird but check your exhaust! on the second tip there is a flap inside that closes when you first accelerate, this creates backpressure and gives you torque and power in the bottom end if the vacuum line comes off the flap the car feels slugish. May be part of the problem, hope this helps.
robsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Very strange. Nothing comes to mind immediately. Maybe someone else can chime in.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dirtyjerz is on a distinguished road
330ci power loss

I had a similar problem with mine. I would often have to restart the car, and sometimes that didn't even make a difference. I am new to the website and still don't know a whole lot about bmw's mechanically, but when I took my car to the dealer they told me that I had to replace my intake and exhaust cam sensors.
dirtyjerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
Cam sensors are one culprit. I believe low-end torque is controlled a bit by the efficiency of the combustion in the chamber. How are your spark plugs? Any SES lights or error codes concerning the ignition coils?
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
vaulzz is on a distinguished road
You might want to check on your master air flow sensor ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)