BMW Werkz banner

330ci

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Zoomin 
#1 ·
I've been looking into buying a new car and I've definitely set several rules for myself. One major rule is that the car must PERFORM well. Not just handling and braking mind you, but accelaration too! I am quite unhappy with my current 325i's acceleration and I'm hoping the 330ci 6-speed will be much better.

Now, the question here is not how the 330ci performs,(I know this already) but rather how much more performance one could pull out of it? How easily is it done?

I've herd rumors of the e46's being incredibly difficult to upgrade. I've Performance software can add almost nothing, exhaust and intake add a mere 5 hp a piece?

The corvette I was looking into gets a good 20 hp from a simple bolt-on. The performance of the vette is substantially greater than that of the 330ci.

The only way I can bring myself to buy the less powerful 330ci is to remind myself over and over how greater the interior, safety, comfort and other features are in comparison with the Corvette.

BUT . . . that's not enough! I also need to know that I can easily add adequate performance to this car without the use of forced induction!

Please chime in with any modification experience or other information that might be helpful to me. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a matter of the warranty . . .

Computer software, intake, and exhuast I can get away with . . .

Not a supercharger . . .

#4 ·
ACTUALLY, if you go with the Dinan software, supercharger and exhaust installed by an approved dealership, your car will still carry it's warranty. Dinan is an authorized performance manufacturer by BMW therefore they will validate the warranty. Check with Dinan for the nearest dealership to you whom is authorized by BMW.

...oh and there is one thing greater than a supercharger... a TURBO

#6 ·
I own a Z06 (which also happens to be supercharged), and I was browsing various forums looking for some performance info for my recently purchased 325 which is my daily driver.

Maybe I can give you some info on the Vette side of things that you may want to look in to. The next generation of the Vette hits the streets next month. The base coupe will have 400 hp. There also is a performance package available for the coupe and vert (Z51) that will bring handling capabilities up to par with the current Z06. The quality of the interior is much improved over the previous generation.

A stock C6 vette will kick sand in the face of a s/c'd 330, simple as that, and you will have full warranty.

I find it disappointing that no one has replied with performance mods other than a supercharger for the 330.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Zoomin@Jul 10 2004, 11:58 AM
I own a Z06 (which also happens to be supercharged), and I was browsing various forums looking for some performance info for my recently purchased 325 which is my daily driver.

Maybe I can give you some info on the Vette side of things that you may want to look in to. The next generation of the Vette hits the streets next month. The base coupe will have 400 hp. There also is a performance package available for the coupe and vert (Z51) that will bring handling capabilities up to par with the current Z06. The quality of the interior is much improved over the previous generation.

A stock C6 vette will kick sand in the face of a s/c'd 330, simple as that, and you will have full warranty.

I find it disappointing that no one has replied with performance mods other than a supercharger for the 330.
Thanks, and I know all about the new c6! I'm a corvette enthusiast. I just don't own one . . . :p The new c6's interior is defintely a huge improvement over the c5 and while I'd love to own one, I don't know if spending 50-55k is feesable right now. (I hear they'll be around that price when they're in stock) I'm looking more inthe range of 30-40. But thanks!

PS - I'm also dissapointed no one has answered my question about the boltons for the 330ci.

#9 ·
bimmer boy, I see you're in New Orleans.. I'm up in dallas if you want to force feed, juice or seriously mod the vette (if you get it). I'll send you my list of credentials if you're interested. John Lingenfelter's daughter has a performance shop here in dallas as well as my old stomping grounds L.G. Motorsports (although i don't give them any business anymore). If you want a sick vette (warranty out the window), then get the twin turbo setup with a healthy head and cam package. I'm sure you could find a way to deal with 550-700 ponies at the wheels. You could also just do some minor bolt-ons and put a little spray on it. If you do it incognito enough you could still stay within warranty.

as far as bolt ons go for the 330, get a fresh air intake (less restriction) + software tuning and a nice exhaust system. You can source these all from dinan and keep your warranty.. as I mentioned above

#10 ·
Thanks a bunch.

Btw, you're saying Dinan products do not void the warranty? What if the parts are ordered online? I would definitely order the parts from their website and add them on myself if this is acceptable.

I'm just wondering if I have to purchase the products or install the products directly through BMW.

#11 ·
If you can put up with the interior, you can get a brand spanking new C5 coupe for ~$36K, and a Z06 for ~ $43K. The Z06 is so much fun to drive, you'll get over the interior - trust me.

EXTech, 21st Century Musclecars is where I got my supercharger installed. Those guys are great!

#12 ·
Sweet. Yeah, I'm sure I can help out the interior a bit with some cool gizmos like lcd dvd screen & GPS, etc. I'm now worried about the safety issues involved. I've herd in an accident the body just gives way like cardboard? How safe(or unsafe) are these cars? I've seen some intimidating accident photos where the vette looked crushed after getting hit at only 35 mph by a mid sized vehicle.

#13 ·
Zoomin..... are you in the DFW area??

bimmerboy... unfortunately the majority of the vette is fiberglass which we all know is about as safe as the new Iraqi government.
That's why the vette is so quick.. to avoid the accidents : )
As far as putting the Dinan parts on yourself, I think BMW will only accept it being done by an approved dealership. This is why not all dealerships can do it.

#14 ·
Damnit . . . and damnit . . .

Alright thanks for the terrible news! Now I'm stuck! haha . . .

#15 ·
Actually, I consider a Vette to be quite safe. Check out this naked chassis and you'll see why:

Fiberglass is no longer used in Corvettes. They use a material called SMC, or Sheet Molded Composite. Unlike most cars with unibody construction the Vette is actually quite substantial underneath.

Check out the insurance rates on these and you'll be pleasantly surprised. The expensive part of insurance is the personal injury aspect, and the Vette protects it's occupants quite well. Also, the car not only has traction control, but active handling as well. With this feature activated (standard in all Vettes), you have to be doing some seriously stupid stuff to get in trouble.

XTech, I'm up in Oklahoma City.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.