325i Vs 330i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thaddeus is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I test drove a 330i today. I like it. I can't wait to buy my first BMW.

I am wondering if there is any reason to spend the extra money on the 330i other than just better acceleration? I don't know much about these cars. IS that all there is, is better acceleration? Is it due to a larger engine?

Also, are there chips available to give me more power? What if I just get a 325i and get a chip for it to make it faster? Would that be cheaper than getting a 330i?

Then again, is there are chip for a 330i to make it have even more acceleration?

Forgive my naive questions, I don't know anything about this stuff.

All I know is that I want a 4-door car that is fast and fun to drive and the 330i seems like a great choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
to my knowledge you will need a chip, exhaust, pullies, intake, and a rear diff (3.46) to equal or get reallly close to a 330
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

jefft325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by thaddeus@Jan 31 2005, 09:27 PM
I test drove a 330i today.* I like it.* I can't wait to buy my first BMW.

I am wondering if there is any reason to spend the extra money on the 330i other than just better acceleration?* I don't know much about these cars.* IS that all there is, is better acceleration?* Is it due to a larger engine?

Also, are there chips available to give me more power?* What if I just get a 325i and get a chip for it to make it faster?* Would that be cheaper than getting a 330i?

Then again, is there are chip for a 330i to make it have even more acceleration?

Forgive my naive questions, I don't know anything about this stuff.

All I know is that I want a 4-door car that is fast and fun to drive and the 330i seems like a great choice.
[snapback]283740[/snapback]
Biggest different between the 325 and 330 are the engine and brakes.

325 - 2.5 liter inline 6 184 HP/175 lb/ft
330 - 3.0 liter inline 6 225 HP/214 lb/ft

After the more powerful engine and bigger brakes in the 330, not much is different at all. For the most part, you can get all the same options and packages on the 325 that you can on the 330. 330 comes with more options standard though - for example the newer 330's have sunroof standard. Front and rear bumpers are also different.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. Some say yes, some say no.

Like Woobiee said - add intake, exhaust, software, pullies, rear diff and you'll be close to a 330. If your worried about making a 325 as fast as a 330, save your time and energy and just get a 330.

And yes, software is available for a 330 as well. The Shark Injector seems to be the most popular - it runs $350-$400 I believe.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

miztuhdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to miztuhdan
2005 325i's standard package is the old 2003-2004 premium package minus some minor things (power seats, night-time mirror, heated seats [i think]). 330i is more powerful but thats about it.. i would say it's a waste to get a 330i for $6000 more when you could just boost a 325i for about $2500. if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.

Track Day-- Spartanburg, SC

United BMW Parts Department
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

downside to manual 05's is that they are only optioned in two colors unless custom ordered. black and white are the only colors available.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
n00b

9inarow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 01:03 AM
if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.
[snapback]283885[/snapback]
My friend, you're a brother from my own heart. When we brought my wife's 03 325, I tried convincing her into buying a MT. She wouldn't go for it.

But to be honest, there's not much of a demand for MT BMW 3's in the used car market.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
n00b

dgkfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 02:03 AM
2005 325i's standard package is the old 2003-2004 premium package minus some minor things (power seats, night-time mirror, heated seats [i think]). 330i is more powerful but thats about it.. i would say it's a waste to get a 330i for $6000 more when you could just boost a 325i for about $2500. if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.
I registered just to reply to this. Yesterday, I went to Vista BMW in Ft. Lauderdale (they say largest BMW dealer in the U.S.?) asking about a manual 325i. Out of maybe 30 or 40 325's and 330's they had on the lot, they had exactly ONE manual. They had one on order, and 2 at their other dealership. I thought BMW drivers like to drive? (Plus, the other poster was correct, I think, out of the 4 potentially available, 3 were white.)

Can we still order 2005's?

David
#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope. Apparently BMW drivers now are becoming women with rich husbands who cannot drive a MT. It sucks doesn't it In order to get a decent selection of colors in MT, you would have to buy an M3 Sadness is overwhelming the BMW lots.

9inarow - if you search around; you will definately find one. Just make sure the engine hasn't been messed up due to, well you know

#9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
n00b

9inarow is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I remember bringing up the MT issue with the saleslady. Man, she did everything to dissuade us from buying an MT. I'm under the assumption not too many are made ... and since they don't really customize based on our needs, but rather match up our requirements with something they already have on ship, they don't have too many MT's at all.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

storme is an unknown quantity at this point
its an american thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

you yanks want automatic transmission,,because you dont give a monkeys about the ozone and the cost of petrol..
us brits pay thru the nose for our fuel,,so a manual transmissions uses less fuel,,,check the official mpg for this fact!!

we brits wish we could pay your prices for fuel :P

but you yanks must miss being in control of your cars,,manual transmission rules!

visit me at <a href='http://www.storme.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.storme.co.uk</a>

visit me at http://www.janspeed.com
#11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
if we are talking about a 325ci/i, i strongly recommend the manual. the 325 autos are slugs...and its very hard to mod them to get them where you prob want it to be.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgkfl+Feb 1 2005, 12:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgkfl @ Feb 1 2005, 12:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 02:03 AM
I registered just to reply to this. Yesterday, I went to Vista BMW in Ft. Lauderdale (they say largest BMW dealer in the U.S.?) asking about a manual 325i. Out of maybe 30 or 40 325's and 330's they had on the lot, they had exactly ONE manual. They had one on order, and 2 at their other dealership. I thought BMW drivers like to drive? (Plus, the other poster was correct, I think, out of the 4 potentially available, 3 were white.)

Can we still order 2005's?

David
[snapback]284064[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Register at united bmw (i think) and express that you are interesting in purchasing a new 05 B-M-SLEEZY! That's how I got my 05 MT 325i. They will contact you via e-mail and you will deal with a salesman who tracks down mt bmw's and notifies you when one is available. Be specific in your e-mails to each other as well, I claimed that I wanted a 325i MT black or mystic blue 2005 for under $30,000. Obviously, I got black since mystic blue does not come in MT. Anyways, do this and I am sure you will find searching for a MT bmw much easier. (This is for 05 now, don't count your beans if you want a used car)

#13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:32 AM
n00b

Sameer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by storme@Feb 1 2005, 08:45 PM
its an american thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

you yanks want automatic transmission,,because you dont give a monkeys about the ozone and the cost of petrol..
us brits pay thru the nose for our fuel,,so a manual transmissions uses less fuel,,,check the official mpg for this fact!!

we brits wish we could pay your prices for fuel :P

but you yanks must miss being in control of your cars,,manual transmission rules!
[snapback]284110[/snapback]
I have too agree. I've never driven a 330 but own a 325. Manual is definitely the way to go on a BMW.
Its classed as a sports sedan, so its kinda obvious.

Here is South Africa, majority of the BM's are manual transmission.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
n00b

thaddeus is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I prefer a Manual Transmission but my job has me on the phone literally ALL day, every minute one call after another constantly.
My last car had a MT and I was always fumbling the phone and occassionally trying to write a note while shifting gears.
I think I will have to get an AT.

Unless someone tells me not to....I was going to get a "certified used" 330i with 30k miles on it. I think it is a 2002. Is there any compelling reason to spend the large sum of extra money to get a new one? (Not to mention the large $ depreciation the minute I drive it off the lot)?

Thanks!
#15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM
n00b

dgkfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I am really amazed at how hard it is to find a manual. I was able to find a titanium silver 5MT, with black leather, metal trim, and premium package. Got an excellent price. The dealer says that he had a silver gray one coming in soon, too, and I test drove another silver with HID but it was already sold. I tried another large local dealer, asking for a manual 325i or 330i (with the current incentives, I figured I could really get a great deal on a 330i). He said he didn't think he could find a "stripped" 330i, but he would try. The next day he got back to me and told me he couldn't find me any manuals at all!

Anyway, mine is beautiful, and it's certainly the best-driving car I've ever had. I can't even stand driving my Passat all of a sudden (and I thought it was a great car before I got the BMW).

Now, my only regret is that I couldn't find one with xenons. (Well, that, and wishing I could have somehow found a base manual 330i. Based on what I paid for the 325i, I bet I could have paid about $31,500 for such an animal--if it existed on the lots!)

I've added a Blitzsave XM direct, and it sounds quite good. I'm definitely considering my options on adding xenons. Anyone with experience along those lines, please chime in!

Anyway, I'm thrilled.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)