BMW Werkz banner

325i Vs 330i

12K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Howie 
#1 ·
I test drove a 330i today. I like it. I can't wait to buy my first BMW.

I am wondering if there is any reason to spend the extra money on the 330i other than just better acceleration? I don't know much about these cars. IS that all there is, is better acceleration? Is it due to a larger engine?

Also, are there chips available to give me more power? What if I just get a 325i and get a chip for it to make it faster? Would that be cheaper than getting a 330i?

Then again, is there are chip for a 330i to make it have even more acceleration?

Forgive my naive questions, I don't know anything about this stuff.

All I know is that I want a 4-door car that is fast and fun to drive and the 330i seems like a great choice.

#3 ·
Originally posted by thaddeus@Jan 31 2005, 09:27 PM
I test drove a 330i today.  I like it.  I can't wait to buy my first BMW.

I am wondering if there is any reason to spend the extra money on the 330i other than just better acceleration?  I don't know much about these cars.  IS that all there is, is better acceleration?  Is it due to a larger engine?

Also, are there chips available to give me more power?  What if I just get a 325i and get a chip for it to make it faster?  Would that be cheaper than getting a 330i?

Then again, is there are chip for a 330i to make it have even more acceleration?

Forgive my naive questions, I don't know anything about this stuff.

All I know is that I want a 4-door car that is fast and fun to drive and the 330i seems like a great choice.
[snapback]283740[/snapback]​
Biggest different between the 325 and 330 are the engine and brakes.

325 - 2.5 liter inline 6 184 HP/175 lb/ft
330 - 3.0 liter inline 6 225 HP/214 lb/ft

After the more powerful engine and bigger brakes in the 330, not much is different at all. For the most part, you can get all the same options and packages on the 325 that you can on the 330. 330 comes with more options standard though - for example the newer 330's have sunroof standard. Front and rear bumpers are also different.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. Some say yes, some say no.

Like Woobiee said - add intake, exhaust, software, pullies, rear diff and you'll be close to a 330. If your worried about making a 325 as fast as a 330, save your time and energy and just get a 330.

And yes, software is available for a 330 as well. The Shark Injector seems to be the most popular - it runs $350-$400 I believe.

#4 ·
2005 325i's standard package is the old 2003-2004 premium package minus some minor things (power seats, night-time mirror, heated seats [i think]). 330i is more powerful but thats about it.. i would say it's a waste to get a 330i for $6000 more when you could just boost a 325i for about $2500. if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.

#6 ·
Originally posted by miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 01:03 AM
if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.
[snapback]283885[/snapback]​
My friend, you're a brother from my own heart. When we brought my wife's 03 325, I tried convincing her into buying a MT. She wouldn't go for it.

But to be honest, there's not much of a demand for MT BMW 3's in the used car market.

#7 ·
Originally posted by miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 02:03 AM
2005 325i's standard package is the old 2003-2004 premium package minus some minor things (power seats, night-time mirror, heated seats [i think]). 330i is more powerful but thats about it.. i would say it's a waste to get a 330i for $6000 more when you could just boost a 325i for about $2500. if you buy a bmw, be a man and buy a manual i hate seeing brand new bmw's on the street that are not manual transmission. it bothers me to know that people buy it for the name and not the performance.
I registered just to reply to this. Yesterday, I went to Vista BMW in Ft. Lauderdale (they say largest BMW dealer in the U.S.?) asking about a manual 325i. Out of maybe 30 or 40 325's and 330's they had on the lot, they had exactly ONE manual. They had one on order, and 2 at their other dealership. :wtf I thought BMW drivers like to drive? (Plus, the other poster was correct, I think, out of the 4 potentially available, 3 were white.)

Can we still order 2005's?

David

#8 ·
Nope. Apparently BMW drivers now are becoming women with rich husbands who cannot drive a MT. It sucks doesn't it :( In order to get a decent selection of colors in MT, you would have to buy an M3 :( Sadness is overwhelming the BMW lots.

9inarow - if you search around; you will definately find one. Just make sure the engine hasn't been messed up due to, well you know :)

#9 ·
Yeah, I remember bringing up the MT issue with the saleslady. Man, she did everything to dissuade us from buying an MT. I'm under the assumption not too many are made ... and since they don't really customize based on our needs, but rather match up our requirements with something they already have on ship, they don't have too many MT's at all.

#10 ·
its an american thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

you yanks want automatic transmission,,because you dont give a monkeys about the ozone and the cost of petrol..
us brits pay thru the nose for our fuel,,so a manual transmissions uses less fuel,,,check the official mpg for this fact!!

we brits wish we could pay your prices for fuel :D :) :) :p

but you yanks must miss being in control of your cars,,manual transmission rules!

#12 ·
Originally posted by dgkfl+Feb 1 2005, 12:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgkfl @ Feb 1 2005, 12:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-miztuhdan@Feb 1 2005, 02:03 AM
I registered just to reply to this. Yesterday, I went to Vista BMW in Ft. Lauderdale (they say largest BMW dealer in the U.S.?) asking about a manual 325i. Out of maybe 30 or 40 325's and 330's they had on the lot, they had exactly ONE manual. They had one on order, and 2 at their other dealership. :wtf I thought BMW drivers like to drive? (Plus, the other poster was correct, I think, out of the 4 potentially available, 3 were white.)

Can we still order 2005's?

David
[snapback]284064[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Register at united bmw (i think) and express that you are interesting in purchasing a new 05 B-M-SLEEZY! That's how I got my 05 MT 325i. They will contact you via e-mail and you will deal with a salesman who tracks down mt bmw's and notifies you when one is available. Be specific in your e-mails to each other as well, I claimed that I wanted a 325i MT black or mystic blue 2005 for under $30,000. Obviously, I got black since mystic blue does not come in MT. Anyways, do this and I am sure you will find searching for a MT bmw much easier. (This is for 05 now, don't count your beans if you want a used car)

#13 ·
Originally posted by storme@Feb 1 2005, 08:45 PM
its an american thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

you yanks want automatic transmission,,because you dont give a monkeys about the ozone and the cost of petrol..
us brits pay thru the nose for our fuel,,so a manual transmissions uses less fuel,,,check the official mpg for this fact!!

we brits wish we could pay your prices for fuel :D :) :) :p

but you yanks must miss being in control of your cars,,manual transmission rules!
[snapback]284110[/snapback]​
I have too agree. I've never driven a 330 but own a 325. Manual is definitely the way to go on a BMW.
Its classed as a sports sedan, so its kinda obvious.

Here is South Africa, majority of the BM's are manual transmission. :driving

#14 ·
I prefer a Manual Transmission but my job has me on the phone literally ALL day, every minute one call after another constantly.
My last car had a MT and I was always fumbling the phone and occassionally trying to write a note while shifting gears.
I think I will have to get an AT.

Unless someone tells me not to....I was going to get a "certified used" 330i with 30k miles on it. I think it is a 2002. Is there any compelling reason to spend the large sum of extra money to get a new one? (Not to mention the large $ depreciation the minute I drive it off the lot)?

Thanks!

#15 ·
Well, I am really amazed at how hard it is to find a manual. I was able to find a titanium silver 5MT, with black leather, metal trim, and premium package. Got an excellent price. The dealer says that he had a silver gray one coming in soon, too, and I test drove another silver with HID but it was already sold. I tried another large local dealer, asking for a manual 325i or 330i (with the current incentives, I figured I could really get a great deal on a 330i). He said he didn't think he could find a "stripped" 330i, but he would try. The next day he got back to me and told me he couldn't find me any manuals at all!

Anyway, mine is beautiful, and it's certainly the best-driving car I've ever had. I can't even stand driving my Passat all of a sudden (and I thought it was a great car before I got the BMW).

Now, my only regret is that I couldn't find one with xenons. (Well, that, and wishing I could have somehow found a base manual 330i. Based on what I paid for the 325i, I bet I could have paid about $31,500 for such an animal--if it existed on the lots!)

I've added a Blitzsave XM direct, and it sounds quite good. I'm definitely considering my options on adding xenons. Anyone with experience along those lines, please chime in!

Anyway, I'm thrilled.

:driving

David

#16 ·
yo:

before you start bismirching our yank tastes, check yourself my friend.

no more e class benzes with sticks, cls not even offered. sitto 7 series. automatic (including cvt) market penetraion in europe is projected at 50% i shit you not 50% by 2008, assuming current trends.

this is an unmitigated disaster. new m5 and maybe even m3 will come with the &*^%ing paddles, no stick. :wtf

i do not knwo why people stop liking driving. it is beyond my comprehension how one can enjoy a car surrendering control to some stupid bucket of hydraulic fluid, or worse an electronic cretin attached to a clutch.

however, it appears to be a global phenomenon, albeit proceeding much faster in the us then elswhere....

p.s. I HAVE TWO FEET. TWO, NOT ONE. :help

#17 ·
Stop it!!! You guys are scaring me!!! Are you telling me the best, smoothest
MT in the world is dissappearing? This can't be true. Combine this with the images I've seen of the new 3.... no cockpit...soft lines...Figures, I'll be ready to replace the old chariot and BMW will have dropped the ball. Automatics??? Americans love to yak on that Goddamn phone.... that's what Pontiacs are for. Maybe I better take another look at Porsche. :dunno

#18 ·
yes brother, barbarians are at the gates!!!

your response is typical. desertion to porsche, and certainly i have considered this myself. in fact my wife is already gone for 911, for the same reasons you stated about the new 3.

we put our $$ where the mouth is, and still there are enough non-enthusiasts to sway the bmw marketing department in their favour.

break out the prozac bottle.... :banghead

#19 ·
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Feb 9 2005, 08:09 PM
yo:

before you start bismirching our yank tastes, check yourself my friend.

no more e class benzes with sticks, cls not even offered. sitto 7 series. automatic (including cvt) market penetraion in europe is projected at 50% i shit you not 50% by 2008, assuming current trends.

this is an unmitigated disaster. new m5 and maybe even m3 will come with the &*^%ing paddles, no stick. :wtf

i do not knwo why people stop liking driving. it is beyond my comprehension how one can enjoy a car surrendering control to some stupid bucket of hydraulic fluid, or worse an electronic cretin attached to a clutch.

however, it appears to be a global phenomenon, albeit proceeding much faster in the us then elswhere....

p.s. I HAVE TWO FEET. TWO, NOT ONE. :help

[snapback]288822[/snapback]​
I'm not sure if I'm intellectually challenged, but I was unable to determine from your post whether your British or American. Furthermore, it was unclear whether you feel that 50% market penetration is too much or too little. I do however fear the demise of MT BMW's, and also find the 2005 3 series toooooooo Japanese for my tastes.

#20 ·
you are not challenged: i expressed myself without clarity.

1. i am neither british or american in the usual sense.
i was born in warsaw poland, grew up in warsaw and london almost equal time, then moved to the u.s., and i consider myself an american. it's been almost 20 years here....

2. i think automatics are vile. 5% is enough to satisfy all wafters.... europe was the last refuge: to my mind 50% threatens global market viability of manual transmissions in mass produced cars.

3. although i am not in love with japanese stying, i acknowledge that it is innovative, sometimes daring, and in general not bad. i DO however, strongly dislike the lack of soul in their machinery. too german, not enough italian. sort of. i prefer not to drive refridgirators, or other appliances. cars are almost people...

4. philosphically, i fault americans for abandoning the leadership in automotive design and quality. this is no longer 1922', we should do better than an odd corvette or a stang.

sorry for the lenght, but you asked.. :p :cheers

#21 ·
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Feb 10 2005, 05:09 PM
you are not challenged: i expressed myself without clarity.

1. i am neither british or american in the usual sense.
i was born in warsaw poland, grew up in warsaw and london almost equal time, then moved to the u.s., and i consider myself an american. it's been almost 20 years here....

2. i think automatics are vile. 5% is enough to satisfy all wafters.... europe was the last refuge: to my mind 50% threatens global market viability of manual transmissions in mass produced cars.

3. although i am not in love with japanese stying, i acknowledge that it is innovative, sometimes daring, and in general not bad. i DO however, strongly dislike the lack of soul in their machinery. too german, not enough italian. sort of. i prefer not to drive refridgirators, or other appliances. cars are almost people...

4. philosphically, i fault americans for abandoning the leadership in automotive design and quality. this is no longer 1922', we should do better than an odd corvette or a stang.

sorry for the lenght, but you asked.. :p :cheers
[snapback]289350[/snapback]​

Hahahaha......I'm glad you didn't take my intellectually challenged comment in the wrong way......And your answer expressed exactly what I felt....

I grew up in India, and automatics were rare.....non-existent untill recently.....After moving here, I realized how much I detest Automatics because they make people lazy......

YES, I understand that it allows ppl to be on the phone etc, and it great for highway driving, but then again, many people NEVER LEARN how to drive stick....It results in people being 'steering drivers'.....They know how to turn on the car, step on the gas, and steer right and left....But they never learn about what actual handling really is...

Anywayz, it seems like my thoughts are losing clarity, so I'll stop now.... Later alll

#22 ·
I couldn't disagree with all of you more.

The BMW auto transmission is an engineering marvel. It shifts so smoothly you can't even tell it is shifting. And it shifts at all the right times.

Cali highways and cities are so conjested with traffic, I can't imagine anyone actually having fun commuting to work everyday in a stick.

Drove my friend's 325 manual and have to admit the clutch and gear box is so silky smooth. I was sure I wouldn't be happy with the auto. Then I test drove the auto and fell in love with it.

The BMW auto kicks. It's a sedan guys. Go buy a Porsche or a real sports car if you want to shift it.

#23 ·
yo, unsavory:

i cannot exppress myself here for fear of using expletives.

it is sorta like this: i could explain things to medical students, but they really would not understand. the gap of knowledge is just too big (i am an attending physician at hopkins).

sorry mate, but we will never see eye to eye on this one. i apologize in advance for the snobbish post (kinda an ^&&hole), but mano, this is one of them things. you just cannot make rush join the aclu....

peter :driving :devil

#24 ·
I personally would not even have considered buying a 3 series that wasn't manual. I'm not knocking others' preferences or the performance of the BMW auto (have no idea - I wouldn't even think to test drive one to be honest...)...but for me manual is the ONLY way to go. (and saying it is not a sports car....hm...just why do you drive a BMW? For the girls? You like the colors it comes in? I just dont get it...) :gay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.