325i Left Us Stranded - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jakks20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Put $33.00 of premium(93 Octane) before we left to go to dinner 45 minutes away. Got to the restaurant, ate, came back out. Started the car and it immediately dropped RPM's to about 600 and started shaking, could physically feel it inside the car. The car then just shut off. Thought maybe it was just an intermitent problem and tried starting it again, and it did the same thing.
I had a couple days before all this happened brought our manual into the house, so I didn't have access to try and reset the ECU, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about a minute and reconnected. It still did the same thing(started,hesitated, then died).
The car is 45 minuted away as I had to get our neighbors to come pick myself,wife and kids up, so I can't really access and try and troubleshoot. I am trying to get ideas as to what it might be if it's something quick and easy that I can try before I WALK to the BMW dealership, yes, I said walk. The dealership is a mere 200 yards down the street from where the car is broke down. I have to go back down there tomorrow to go to the doctor, so I can try a couple things, maybe reset the ECU(not sure how?????), or as my last resort, have the dealership come pick it up under our extended warranty. What do the late night BMW finatics think it might be?
jakks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
You bought the warranty just for this occasion. Send it back instead of trying and figuring out what it "might" be. Let the professionals figure it out....you paid for it...now use it. :-)
2001BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW325xi@Mar 17 2005, 12:11 PM
You bought the warranty just for this occasion. Send it back instead of trying and figuring out what it "might" be. Let the professionals figure it out....you paid for it...now use it. :-)
[snapback]313493[/snapback]
I wasn't going to try and fix it if I knew it was something bigger than what I could do in the parking lot where it was at. I tried to start it again this morning when I met the truck there. It turned over and that is about it. It was towed 200 yards down the street to the BMW dealership. They called an hour ago and said that it was the fuel pump that had gone bad. They also informed me that the brakes(2 mm left), sensors need done and the drive belt needs replaced. I told them to note that on the invoice and I would look into it. I am pretty sure that I can do those myself unless there are objections to the contrary? Belts and brakes would be around $580 for parts and labor, quoted from the service dept rep.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Tell them to just change the fuel pump...guaranteed they are just trying to make more money on work that is not needed.
Typical Dealership BS, don't fall for it.
Personally I would never get any work done at the dealer unless my car was under warrantee and I had no other choice.
Your best bet is to find a great european car mechanic and take the car there.
Best to wait while your car is serviced to.
That way you know the work was done, and can see the old parts come off the car.
Good luck
2001BMW330iRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
The fuel pump is the only thing I am having them do at this time. The other stuff can wait until 1) I find out the price of the parts alone along with when I can do it 2) I find a reputable German auto mechanic like you said. 3) I determine that it doesn't actually need done until the 90k inspection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)