BMW Werkz banner

323ci E46 Fuel consumption

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gonzo499 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2000 323ci, which only does between 19 and 20 mpg. Before you assume that I'm a crazy driver let me tell you that I’m a very careful driver. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or has experienced it? Does anyone know what causes a decrease in fuel consumption? The car is completely standard.

#2 ·
Are you guaging your fuel consumption on the analog dial in your dash or are you using the computer to average your fuel use?

If you are guaging by the analog needle, then it will look bad because anytime you touch the gas, it seems to jump right to the 19-20mpg mark.

If you are using your computer, you should reset your fuel consumption number (hold the button in on the end of the turn signal while you are on the fuel consumption readout). Then see how you do.

#4 ·
Read ANY post about the OBC and it'll tell you that it isn't accurate. Best way to determine your fuel economy is divide the miles driven by gallons needed for fill up (if this is your first BMW -- DON'T TRY TO TOP OFF, bimmers are very unforgiving when it comes to topping off and that gas will kill your paint). That is the best way to determine your economy. Should be in the mid to upper 20s with on a mixed course.

#6 ·
thats a big ten four. i calculate mine to be 25-EVERY time. it doesn't seem to matter how i drive i can't ever seem to get any other number. i do the math and like clockwork-25. i think i might've gottten 26 once. must've been a fluke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.