BMW Werkz banner

320i E46, 2004 - Electric fan failure

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kiran 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have got 320i, E46 2004, I was on a long drive and for driving about 400K sudenly the coolent indicator came on the dashboard and I pulled over.
I realized that it was the Bottle shaped tank next to the radiator(The one with the cap where we fill water/coolant) broke as I fill the water in it it starts draining. I towed the car to the mechanic and he striopped it and replaced with a new box. and was fine and I drove about 10KMs and encountered the same problem. This time it was not the tank but the coolent was leeking from the plus shaped plastinc screw (+) on the tube next to the radiator cap. then towed back to the mechanic and he said that the electric fan is burnt and needs to replace that.
My concern is if the fan doesnt work or is burnt does this plastic bottle break????
Please advise what could be the reason for this fan failure?
Before this I had a problem with the alternator as it is undercharging and was replaced, is there any relation between these two as they lie in the same place in the car????
Please enlighten the reasons for this failure, thanks in advance

Kiran

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
I am new to the forum and need help please.
My 2000 318i radiator fan belt keeps running after engine shuts off and keys taken out. So every time i stop i have to unplug the radiator fan power. And plug it in before i go which is troublesome.
Can anybody help please why this happens and if you could advise?
Thanks heaps.
Ran

#3 ·
What exactly are you unplugging? How does the fan belt stay spinning? Not sure I really understand what your describing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.