320d seized rear braker caliper!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Badmanswheels is on a distinguished road
320d seized rear braker caliper!!!

Hi hope theres anyone out there that can help!! i went on holiday for 3 weeks left my car (2001 320d 4 door) parked on the drive. when i got back , tried to reverse of the drive. the motor wont budge, the nearside rear caliper seized . Tried allsorts to free it, force driving to certain extent ( still didnt budge ) hitting the caliper lightly with a hammer, using wd40 etc . still not freeing itself. wondered is this a common fault? looks like i'l have to get the caliper stripped . does anyone know if i'l need a new 1 or can the old one be reused... also is there a winding tool required for them i heard.

any help much appreciated!!
Badmanswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
if your caliper is seizing as bad as you discribed, you should get it replaced rather than try to fix it...brakes are a HUGE safety item. you will need a pad sreader, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight,Checker, so on....

looks like this
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
replace the caliper , use your current one for a core and you should be good to go
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the responses, but after 2 long tiring days trying to sort the problem out ...turned out that the the handbrake shoes on one side jammed , may be becoause of thre cold weather GOD knows... lesson learned is that when your away for a long period of time dont leave the damm handbrake on too tight!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mo-s3 is on a distinguished road
mine did the samething, handbrake siezed up after car had been parked up for quite while. Lot of aggro taking it apart.
mo-s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
best thing to do is (sounds a bit heavy handed but.. ) jack the car for the centre so both rear wheels lift ( you will need a 5 ton jack ) take off the wheel from the affected side 1st tho. put the wheel nuts into the threads and just hit it with a hammer. then try puting the car in reverse applying a bit off power, and with a few more hits off the hammer should break free.. it worked for me. cars back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)