BMW Werkz banner

318i brake sensor (and other sensors)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mankiks323i 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a late '99 318i. Of late, the sensor panel has become a little temperamental.

- The handbrake light comes on when the handbrake is clearly not engaged
- The seatbelt light comes on when all seatbelts are connected
- The seatbelt light stays off when all seatbelts are disconnected (!!)
- The Stability Control light comes on when ASC it is not engaged

etc. etc..

Turns out that after driving for a while, these lights randomly return to "normal" - i.e. correct operation.

I am unwilling to believe that all sensors have konked out at the same time.

Also, now my brake sensor is on and it hasnt been turning off for a while - so I am not sure whether I need a brake pad change or whether it is another false alarm!

Any suggestions? is there a way to reset the computer / sensors and start afresh - much like a reboot??

Thanks!
Anurag Bajaj

See less See more
#2 ·
well first i probably would start off by checking for fault codes with a scan tool. my opionion is i dont think all these "sensors" have gone bad. Brake sensors usually warn you if your pads are worn out look at your pads see how much pading is left once you do that change both pads and sensor. As for your other problems check around for any loose wiring or terminals. Or maybay your central computer is going out. these are just my opinions maybe someone else knows better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.