BMW Werkz banner

E46 Navigation

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bimmer29 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new member here. I just purchased a new '05 325xi with sports package, premium, and nav. I pick it up in a few weeks. :idea2 I've gotten mixed signals about the navigation system. For my job, it is imperitive that I have it though. I now use a touch sceen garmin street pilot for nav, but am looking forward to having the integrated system. Also, now that bmw is offering bluetooth compatibility, I'm curious to know if anyone has had experience with that system in a bimmer with nav. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Just bought an 05 330 xi and haven't tried Bluetooth but the nav systm works fine, once you figure out the many steps it takes to enter an address (someday, they'll have a keyboard, like in cop cars, or even voice-actuated data entry Dream on...). Once you set a destination, it gives you accurate spoken and visual cues. If you take a short-cut or alternative route, it will reorient itself in about 30-60 seconds and continue to guide you from your new position.

#4 ·
Originally posted by bimmer29@Nov 14 2004, 12:58 PM
30-60 secs!? :goodness: I think my garmin takes about 10 at the most to reorient so that's a little disappointing. Are you not equipped for the bluetooth or have you just not tried it yet/not gotten a compatible phone? thanks for the info.
[snapback]230636[/snapback]​
Mine (on an '05 330xi) takes only a few seconds to readjust when you go off the path, although it has an annoying habit of trying to get you back onto its initially planned route. Otherwise, it's worked well, only misleading me once (unfortunately, that once was the first time my wife and newborn child were in the car; neither of them were happy about going 10 minutes out of our way to a place that didn't exist :blink: )

The input to these navs is terrible. It's surprising that BMW has never heard of touchscreen. Lexus is the king of navs - I'm disappointed to see that BMW hasn't made much progress in this area.

#5 ·
Actually I have recently bought the GARMIN IQue PDA/GPS system and the car kit. Its awesome. GARMIN is the leader in NAVs and their system works great takes less than 10 seconds to reorient. Works great because its so portable and I can just carry it to rental cars and friends cars just as easily. I want to buy an aftermarket Pioneer DVD NAv system for my 01 E46 but am apprehensive what it will do to my warranty and the electrical systems......so for now GARMIN rocks! :driving

#6 ·
I ahve the Nav and Bluetooth on my 325...both work well. The car kit micrpohone didn't oickup to well until I moved it from the passenger side to the drivers side.....

The connection is pretty reliable with a compatible phone and being able to search your phone addres book on screen is great.

My 2 downers are
a) the ring tone - deafening and unimaginative/annoying
B) the Telephone button on the wheel calls up a speed dial page...but you then have to scroll through all your contacts, one by one, in alphabetical order....not really 'speed' if you have a couple hunderd numbers in the phone!!!

Anything particular you want to know about the BT kit?

#7 ·
Love my integrated NAV system that came in our '05 325xit. I've used it a bunch of times and it hasn't failed me yet. I also think it reorients itself much quicker than a previous poster mentioned when you take a short cut or miss a turn - at least it has for me.

The input is cumbersome, but I do it before I leave for my destination, so it's only a minute or so in the garage before taking off. And the more I use it, the quicker I find myself inputting information, so it's not that big of a turnoff for me.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Trigati@Nov 15 2004, 04:39 PM
I ahve the Nav and Bluetooth on my 325...both work well. The car kit micrpohone didn't oickup to well until I moved it from the passenger side to the drivers side.....

The connection is pretty reliable with a compatible phone and being able to search your phone addres book on screen is great.

My 2 downers are
a) the ring tone - deafening and unimaginative/annoying
B) the Telephone button on the wheel calls up a speed dial page...but you then have to scroll through all your contacts, one by one, in alphabetical order....not really 'speed' if you have a couple hunderd numbers in the phone!!!

Anything particular you want to know about the BT kit?
[snapback]231456[/snapback]​
Interesting, Trigati, are you in the U.S.? You mentioned the phone being annoying, but I was under the impression that there were several carriers whose phones you could use, no? You also mentioned a car kit microphone, is this something needed when you have BMW assist? I didn't know there were any external parts, I thought it was all integrated like in the Acura TL, although not as user friendly. You have a mic you have to move around?! Do '05s have this too? And how is the sound quality, incoming and outgoing, easy to hear? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.