250$ for a new battery...OUCH! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:18 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
collin228 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
250$ for a new battery...OUCH!

Having a BMW takes a little getting used to, I guess. I cannot beleive I paid 250 for a battery today! Does that seem excessive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
hell yea! was it oem or something? what brand is it?

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
You got gypped, dude. I would never pay $250 for a battery. I know that doesn't help you, but I'm just sayin'...

Did you try Autozone or Kragen, or the like? There are plenty of good batteries out there for less than $80.

Ari Cohen
2002 BMW 325i
5spd manual
#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:03 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
Due to the location and the need for venting it does unfortunately limit the batteries that are available. I have heard of people paying upward of $350 for a replacement battery. The other option is to go with a battery that does not need to be vented like the Optima Red Top, this is still not cheap but is a very good battery.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:17 PM
n00b

collin228 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 5
Due to the location and the need for venting it does unfortunately limit the batteries that are available. I have heard of people paying upward of $350 for a replacement battery. The other option is to go with a battery that does not need to be vented like the Optima Red Top, this is still not cheap but is a very good battery.
Ben
That's pretty much what the stealership said. I have only had my used car 2 months. It seems that maybe they could have caught a faulty battery. Oh well. My car is worth every penny.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
n00b

dogotel is an unknown quantity at this point
Was that from a BMW dealership? The price IS outrageous. It is commonly said that original equipment BMW batteries are quite good, but the "OEM" replacement batteries that BMW sells are produced by a different manufacturer, and totally suck. I'm not familiar with the Optima Red Top, but you definitely want to take into consideration the placement and need for venting. You don't want to blow up yourself and your car. (Especially not your car.)

Dogotel
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear Member

SpooldUp will become famous soon enough SpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
Ouch indeed! A real convertible battery is in that range. Enjoy owning the bimmer! :-)

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)