BMW Werkz banner

Getting rid of my 04 WRX for a 3 series

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jakks20 
#1 ·
Its time to have something a little more comfortable. Its a hard choice but I want something I can travel in. If anyone wants to see a pic of my WRX goto:

PICS

Couple of questions.

1. Does all three series come with heated seats leather moonroof etc.?

2. What is the gas milage and what octane do they take

3. Are they high maintenance? I am coming from a car that is never happy.

4. How much differance am I going to notice in performance?

Thanks

#2 ·
1. No, most definitely not. Just about everything on a 3 series is an option.
Heated seats can be purchased individually, or you can get them with the CWP, or Cold Weather Package. CWP includes heated seats, headlight washers, and split fold down rear seats. Leather can also be purchased individually, or it comes with the premium package on the 330. Moonroof used to be part of the premium package as well, but it doesn't look like it's included for 2005 models.

Go to BMWUSA and build one - you'll see all the different packages and what they include. Some variations exist depending on the model year, but you'll get the idea.

2. Gas mileage depends on what tranny you have, and what model you have. My 325i manual gets 20/29 supposidly - I've never checked for myself but gas mileage is quite respectable. All E46 3 series in the U.S. require Premium gas - 91-93 Octane, depending on where you live and whats available. Some people fill their's with regular unleaded = cheap bastards!

3. High Maintenance? Hmmm, well, some people have tons of problems, others have none. I've had none with my car. If you buy new, all scheduled maintenance up to 36K is covered by the dealer. Oil changes are every 15K. Standard warranty is 4year/50K. Many BMW owners will say, they knew up front that purchasing a BMW might be a reliability risk, but they love the car, so they live with it when/if it comes up.

4. Depends on which 3 series your looking at. The closest 3 series, performance wise, to a WRX would be a 330i with the Performance Package. This package was offered starting in 2003 on 4 doors and only came in a 6 speed manual. For 2004 it was available on coupes and cabrios as well, and was available in an auto (called steptronic in the 3 series). The M3 is faster than the WRX, the standard 330 and 325 aren't quite the performer that a WRX is. The 325 defintely not!

If your looking for an all out performer, spend your $ on something other than a 3 series. They aren't intended to tear up the streets. They do offer an wonderful all around package however, and if you looking for a smooth, comfortable, and gratifying ride, you'll probably be happy.

A good friend of mine has a stage 4 WRX, and while that thing is insanely fast, I get ill everytime I ride in it. The dronning exhaust tone, the engine noise, the whiplash of my neck when the turbo spools up - it just isn't for me. He'd destroy me in every performance category, but I'd never trade my 325 for it. Just depends on what your looking for I guess. They are definitely different cars altogether. Go drive one and see for yourself. Maybe it won't be for you, maybe it will :thumbs

edit - I just checked out your car. If you don't want to take a step back in the performance department, you'd better look to an M3 if your thinking BMW!

#3 ·
all depends on what year 3 your looking at, most of them have those options, I have friends with both a wrxs and sti's and i wasn't pleased with them at all, they just feel cheap, you will love the brakes and handling, but i guess you won't have the accel like you had, but goo enough if you ask me

#4 ·
Depends alot on whether your buying the 330 or 325 (i, ci, xi) models. Different packages for the 30 vs. the 25 series.

1. As jefft mentioned, almost everything on the 3 series is an option... even cruise control is not standard on some models! Coming from a WRX, you will definately want the Performance or Sport package.

2. My 325i 5-speed gets 24 mpg city and I drive a little more aggressively than the avg. driver..... close to 30 mpg hwy. Only using 91 octane of course.

3. As far as maintenance goes, the factory warranty grants invaluable peace of mind, although I've only used it twice in 40k miles for a bad cam-sensor and misaligned interior moonroof panel.

4. Performanc wise, obviously the BMW is a luxury sports vehicle....as opposed to a machine built for acceleraton and agility. It will be noticeably heavier off the line and in the turns compared to a WRX. The xi models perform better but is slightly heavier than the RWD models. Another thing I noticed w/3 series is the longer gears and slower rpm band travel (for oem engines/exhaust). Don't expect the same performance to a WRX... or you will be disappointed ( stick to a WRX if acceleration, speed & handling is your priority). I prefer the prestige of owning a refined luxury performance sedan vs. the typical fast-n-furious break-neck ticket-magnets.... but thats just me. :haha

#5 ·
I want the refined ride and quality of the bmw I just want to make sure there is enough power to merge onto the highway. I am kinda stuck on wether I want an IS300 or a 3 series. I have heard so many mixed reviews. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks for all of your comments

#6 ·
Originally posted by Usedtobe13s@Sep 17 2004, 09:39 AM
I want the refined ride and quality of the bmw I just want to make sure there is enough power to merge onto the highway. I am kinda stuck on wether I want an IS300 or a 3 series. I have heard so many mixed reviews. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks for all of your comments
Oh there is plenty of power there. You will be able to plunge ahead of cars that are even with you getting on the highway. I had a jetta VR6 before and it is sick how much faster and better the bmw handles. Get rid of the WRX and go German :rock

#7 ·
I have a 325i and thoroughly enjoy it. I car-sat my buddie's IS300(same year-2001) and I thought that the 325 is more refined and the power felt about the same. The 325 handled better and didnt make as much noise(over bumps) as the IS300. The controls on the IS300 were harder to use also. The only thing I liked about the IS300 over the 325 was nothing........I can't think of anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.