BMW Werkz banner

2005 320i Shutter/vibration on incline and power loss

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Steam 
#1 ·
Hi,

I took my car on a long trip…it started acting up! While going uphill usually when going slower there is a shutter/vibration feeling and it also bogged out feeling, I step on the gas and it doesn't have much power. The RPM also flutters a bit on highway usually anything over 100km our or going uphill the rpm always fluctuates a bit…I do have an appointment with a mechanic on Friday but could anyone please give me an idea….I am so worried it's going to cost me a fortune :( I have a feeling it the torque converter??
Oh, it's an automatic with slap shift.

Thanks so much

#2 ·
Well, I had sparkplugs installed today…that took care of the bogged out/lose of power…the computer said it was showing miss fired on 2,4,6….However, the shutter/vibration in still felt through drivetrain area while on incline…. any ideas? anyone??

#4 ·
It is an automatic. I have had yet more work done but still no fix! Had new ignition coils, 2 exhaust boots replaced....and STIILL have the viberation/noise happening! It kind of sounds like driving over the cuts in the road before a toll to slow you down.... It's been scaned on computer twice and is not showing any codes... I find it does it most between 50-60 KM an hour when barely touching the gas (like you are stuck behind a slow poke and can't give it gas) ...and on the highway when going over 110 km an hour it sounds louder and not as much power. ANYONE, have this problem or an idea what it could be? I have spent $1400 in 3 weeks on my car and it is still not fixed! Oh an the RPM still fluctuates a little bit while on highway going up hill.

Thank you...

#5 ·
Wow thats horrible, not really sure BMW have been known especially 3 series to have problems with fuel injectors but that noise your hearing is weird. Injectors issues can cause the car to be sluggish but also transmission issues can too as well. I was reading an issue with another person that had weird rmp fluctuations and turned out to be an injectors problem. I'll do more research and see, have you stayed up to date with your maintenance and try to take your bmw to a reputable BMW shop cause they are usually more knowledgable than dealerships in my opinion and cheaper.

#6 ·
Yes, I do take it to a shop that specializes in BMW...they seem to be very good and extremely busy...so, I was quite surpised that they couldn't pin point the problem. I have been going there for 3 years now. I was traveling away a couple months ago and stopped at a different shop and the owner took it for a drive and said it could possibly the torque converter locking up to soon or maybe the solnoid sensor...I don't know, I just hate throwing money on parts to rule out possible problems. That is getting expensive.

Thanks

#7 ·
It could *possibly* be your VANOS. It contols intake camshaft timing. When it stops working it causes a few issues, including power loss, and a rattling sound like a jar of marbles under your hood. The seals on them can fail. Beisan Systems makes a kit that replaces the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.