2004 E46 330Ci Sport Coupe - Strange window problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SYC1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2004 E46 330Ci Sport Coupe - Strange window problem

Hi,

I have a 2004 E46 330Ci Sport Coupe, UK, Right Hand Drive. (it's the later E46 model)

It's showing some very peculiar window related faults I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on:

95+% of the time, when opening the driver's door, the window will drop about half an inch as is normal for a coupe, but will not close back up when I shut the door - regardless of whether the engine is running or not. The passenger window works correctly every time - ie drops when the door is opened, then closes again when the door shuts. The driver's side I just have to close manually with the switch once I've started the engine.

The "one-touch" open and close on the drivers side rarely works - I usually have to manually hold the control switch all the way down (clicking past the "one-touch" notch) to open, and hold it all the way up to close it.

If I do the electric window reset sequence (holding the switch up for 15 seconds, then down for 15 seconds), that will make the drivers side "one-touch" work, but only once. I then have to go through the reset sequence maybe 2 or 3 times before it will one-touch again, but again it will only work once before I have to re-set it again - so I've just learned to live with doing it manually. Again, the one-touch on the passenger side works fine 100% of the time.

The "Comfort Access" facility (where you can open the windows automatically from the keyfob, and close them from the keyfob or by turning the key in the drivers door lock and holding it over) - doesn't work at all.

If I unlock the car using the remote, then I press the unlock button on the remote again - y'know, when you have a senior moment and forget that it's already unlocked! (doesn't matter whether it's 2 seconds or 2 hours after I first pressed to unlock the car), nothing happens immediately.... But then when I open the drivers door, the drivers window will automatically roll down either all the way, or it will stop wherever it's at when I close the drivers door.

Again, this only happens on the drivers side - never on the passenger side.

BUT.... At completely random intervals (and seems more likely when it's raining or after a heavy morning dew) the PASSENGER window sometimes rolls down half way.

This only ever happens to the passenger window, and is completely random - we could have several days of continuous rain and it will be as good as gold for a month or more. Then it could do it a couple of times in the space of a week. Each time it happens, it goes down to exactly half way.

This last symptom only ever happens when it's damp, but all the other symptoms exist all day every day, regardless of weather conditions.

I'm sure it's an electrical fault somewhere, and I guess it's probably a control module of some form or another, but I'm stumped as to which one or where to go from here.

Would be grateful if anyone else has experienced a similar problem and can shed any light on the subject.

Apologies for the length of the post - I've been monitoring the situation for a while now and wanted to give you all the information I currently have.

Many thanks

Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Neutral Member

kylek325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kylek325i
definitely sounds electrical to me. I had the infamous E36 trunk wire harness failure and there were a bunch of shorts causing all sorts of weird problems. Check in the door panels and all the fuses and switches inside...good luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
your best bet is to go have your car scanned with patented BMW software. Autologic or something similar will suffice. These software will be able to pinpoint defects over and beyond what a regular OBD2 scan can provide.

Undoubtedly it takes a computer to fix another computer, so it's best to eliminate the guesswork in this way. The money spent for a scan, if any, will surely make up for the days of guesswork and/or trying this part and that part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)