2004 330ci navigation question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
(Thread Starter)
2004 330ci navigation question

Hi guys.. recently bought a 330ci (2004) without navi. So i was wondering if you can suggest some options. Here is what i have so far

1. Buy OEM navi - Do I need to buy the climate module also? Or will my existing one just fit in the lower storage compartment?

2. Buy aftermarket navi - Will the dash come out flush with the aftermarket system or is it not worth it?

3. Any other options?

What is the best place to get a used navi? What are the things to look for? and how much can I expect to pay?

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3

Last edited by funtoos; 04-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
dollar for dollar, i'd recomend a handheld unit. that way you can use it when camping, fishing, in an aircraft or when traveling in a different car.

if your dead set on buyin' an indash unit, your better off going w/ an aftermarket unit. i've been out of the game for a while, but when i was into car audio, the Pioneer AVIC-N1 was tits...im sure whatever replaced it is still highly regarded.

the oem unit is retarded expensive and not worth it. i'd rather spend $1200 on the Pionneer unit and improve the audio SQ, add DVD playback capability and get navigation.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man... i'd like to install something in the car instead of handheld.. do you know if the aftermarket installation would be flush with the rest of the console? or would it stand out from the rest of the stuff? what is the best aftermarket manufacturer that will go with car interior lookwise?

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, they make dash kits that look pretty good. there's plenty of room in the e46 DIN slot, so no worries about fitting flush and lookin' good....

as for manufacturers, hands down, Nakamichi looks best, as they have understated styling and the illumination is almost the exact same shade of orange that BMW uses, not to mention their electronics are second to none and it shows in the SQ attainable from starting w/ a Nakamichi head unit. thing is, last i checked they didn't make a navigation unit. my second choice would be Alpine, and i know they make single DIN nav. units....i just don't know if they pack as much bang for the buck that the Pioneer unit does. You should PM the bull, he's the resident expert these days and could probably give ya more info than i.

#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
what's a good place to get these? as far as installation, should i get it done at any local shop or bmw? would this void any kind of warranty on the car?

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
WOT in Reverse

def. not BMW. they're knowledgeable about all things BMW, not aftermarket. For that world, i would turn to aftermarket experts. Should be pretty easy to find a good shop, just look for the telltale signs, clean well lit stores that carry mid to upper end audio. as for installation, ya just flat out tell 'em what you want and what you have....most installers won't work on something they don't want to or don't feel comfortable with, so if they hesitate, you might look elsewhere.

installation is very simple on these cars...i've pulled the head unit and added an amp and sub to mine...one of the easiest installs i've done....and i've done a lot!

oh, btw, look around on crutchfield.com and use as a basis for pricing....they are pretty fair....i would definitely make sure wherever you go, you pay less, or at the very worse, the same price as their store. local shops around these parts generally beat them by 10-20%. hope this helps.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM
n00b

Paragongja is on a distinguished road
Hey funtoos. Please let me know how you make out with the Nav System. I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a 2004 330 Ci (777 miles) and want to install a Nav System.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
5th Gear Member

red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to red330Iperfpkg
i personally think the 3 series e46 nav/dash setup is the best but i can see why ud wanna be able to take it other places too but if ur not gonna use it for other stuff id go with the oem i love it

sig done by SpeedInfusion

2001 740i sport
2003 330i ZHP
2003 M5
2005 A4 1.8T
2006 750Li sport

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)