2004 3.30ci - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CompuTurk is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings people,
I am a new member in this forum. I have driven BMWs before, but never owned one. Finally, last week I got my 2004 3.30ci

The first 1000 miles or so is the brake-in period and I know that I shoudl keep the ngine rev under 4,500 rpm. I went over it like 3-4 times to around 5,500 rpm for like a second or so, I am on 700 miles now (in 4 days :-) I was wondering if this will cause any permanent damage to the engine?

Also, I had to brake hard once now I am getting some scratching noise from the right wheels except when I am hitting the gas. Sounds like brakes are sticking out...has any of you had this problem?

Thank you for your help guys, I will post pictures soon.

Also any tips on taking care a new car would appreciated, you know like to things to watch out for.

Thanks again...
-CompuTurk
CompuTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

Car:
Photos:
Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forums CompuTurk and congrats on your new ride!! B)

You might refer to this thread in breaking in your new ride..
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...?showtopic=2308

As far as your brakes I'd take it in to the dealer to have them take a peak at it if it continues..

Look forward to your pics and enjoy your stay!!

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CompuTurk is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, pretty scary. But I am very picky...I am probably making a big deal out of it. Like every single noise I hear I get frasturated and most of the time, they are the noises from out side and from other cars.

I am on 1000 miles now and thanks to God the car is running great. The brake noise seems to be gone, but now I hear a slight clicking noise when I make turns from the rear. I am going to take it to the dealer to get both inspected anyway.

When I had the car, it had 54 miles on it. I am hoping the dealer or the customers didn't red line it.

I am just being paranoid about since there is no problems with my car. I just want to do everything right from the very start.

Here is what the manual says:

Quote:
To ensure that your vehicle provides
maximum economy throughout a long
service life, we request that you comply
with the following information.

Engine and differential
The first 1,250 miles/2,000 km:
Constantly vary both vehicle and engine
speeds, remembering not to exceed
4,500 rpm and/or vehicle speeds of
over 100 mph / 160 km/h:
Always obey all official speed limits.
Do not use full throttle, and avoid
pressing the accelerator beyond the
kickdown point during these initial
miles.

You can then proceed to increase both
engine and vehicle speeds once the initial
1,250 miles/2,000 km have elapsed.
Please remember to observe these
same break-in procedures if either the
engine or the differential should have to
be replaced later in the course of the
vehicle's service life.
CompuTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
somebody wrote something very smart:

You have two opposite functions to perform at break-in:
1) Apply enough pressure to the piston rings (via high-load) to have them expand and match the cylinder bore (in fact, they both wear a bit and fit each other). This also applies to valve to valve-seat interfaces and all plain bearings.
2) Avoid excessive heat that would cause distortion that will prevent these parts from mating.
BMW advise not to exceed 5,000rpm for the first 600 miles, for good reason, to prevent heat-seizures or cylinder scoring. This allows you to travel at around 75mph in top gear, throttle on - throttle off, which is fine for breaking in and doesn't require too much throttle restraint. My neighbour who is a mechanic for BMW, said if someone admitted they'd been red-lining it before 600 miles had been covered, they wouldn't be covered for any warranty claims for engine problems. Surely it's best to follow what BMW advise, after all it's only for 1,200 miles total before you can really wring its neck, if that's the way you wish to ride.
The main idea is to exercise the engine like you would a muscle. Build up slowly and don't do the same thing for too long. Yes, you want to keep engine revs down and increase gradually, but also you want to run a variety of engine and gearbox routines. Run City traffic for half an hour then country lanes for a couple of hours, then finish with maybe 15 minutes of mixed steady and fast motorway. Repeat until you've done the miles. Running motorways at 100 kph to do the distance will shorten engine life almost as much as not running in at all.
Here is an interesting statement from Jeremy Hall, a principal engineer in Honda's engine design department. He is quoted (page 61 of the July issue of Popular Science) as stating that the stress on an engine at 9,000 rpm is double that at 8,000 rpm. Something to think about as you wind your engine to redline.

peter
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)