BMW Werkz banner

2003 E46

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bearing01 
#1 ·
I have been advised by my local BMW dealer that I should not consider touching any thing electrical with my car as I could damage the chip. I would like to hear it from the members if this is true. How far could we go in fiddling with the electrics?

Has anyone hooked up stereos, lighting, other accessories involving the electrics?

What the technician said has made me very nervous!!!

franj :goodness:

#2 ·
Perth, Australia..... hmmmm oh I was just daydreaming about taking a trip there. Must be a nice place.
My advice is this: disconnect the battery before working on the car. This will eliminate most potential problems.
The other hazard with working on computer based electronics is static electricity. You should be fine as long as you stay with working on the stereo, lights etc.
Since you live on the coast, the humidity is most likely high enough to prevent static elec., but here in West Texas it's real bad in the winter months. I have to be real careful when I work on computers to keep static from zapping a processor or video card.

#3 ·
Thanks Ronskal,

Perth is a beautiful place. As you know, it is the capital of Western Australia, which is the biggest state in Australia. The city sits by the Swan River and we have I believe the best beaches in the world.....and pretty girls!! The Tourism Commission should be paying me for this!

Thanks for your input. I have since been able to find bits of info on the K-Bus and I-Bus. Facinating stuff, but I'm not into hooking up the laptop to it. I'm just interested to understand how the system works. I'm used to my 15 year old Benz so this system is foreign to me.

Cheers

franj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.