BMW Werkz banner

2002 330i Manual Clunking in 1st gear

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jaavaajoe 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2002 330i Manual Trx, with 18k miles. When the car is cold (just started) I don't have a problem. However, once the car is warmed up (within 2-3 minutes) and I start off from a dead stop, when I push the clutch just before shifting from 1st to 2nd, I get a thump/clunk sound. I can feel it through the clutch pedal.

It does not do this in any other gear and only when warmed up. It is also really noticeable if I am going up hill on the 1st to 2nd shift.

At other times, it seems like the gear shift is a little reluctant in 3d and 4th gear.

I have been able to alleviate this somewhat by pushing my clutch in slower and also by slightly pulling the gear shift down (about 1/8-1/4 of an inch) before pushing in the clutch for the 1st to 2nd shift.

The first time the dealer said he couldn't replicate the problem, but I am getting ready to take it back. Just wondering if anyone had any imput that might help me help the dealer pinpoint the problem.
I have been driving manuals for about 15 years now, and have never had this problem before. I am pretty sure there is a problem and that it is not my driving techinque.

Thanks,
Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
bmw have had some issues with this. My car makes this noise in a automatic. there are a few possible things 1 it may be a transmission reprograming needed 2 there is a flexdisc that connects the front driveshaft with the back it could be worn. 3 or it could be some output flange which one i dont know transmission or final drive :confused. I haven't repaired mine yet hope to pinpoint it. My dealership has told me about three different things none are the problem complete morons so i am reluctant to take to them. :driving

#3 ·
to f/u on prevoius post:

is this really from the tranny or is it the drive shaft ? i can feel the muffled thud when i put the torque down abruptly in my car (330ipp), which sounds to me like a drive shaft noise...

this was completely normal in my benz, but it had rubber flex discs: is bmw using the rubber discs and not homokinetic joints ???

peter

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

At first I thought it might be that the clutch needed to be adjusted. I know that it is supposed to have an automatically adjusting clutch, but based on previous experience with my motorcycle, that seemed possible.

Now though, I think it has something to do with the transmission/gearbox. The car is totally stock, but it seems reluctant to go into gear sometimes too.

#5 ·
Alright,
Here is some more info.

Been having the same problem. Car still making a clunking sound when I quickly press in the clutch just before the 1st to 2nd shift.

I took the car in again and rode the with the Master Technician at the dealership.

As soon as I did it, he recognized it.

He said that BMW's do this. Said that he has had many complaints about this very thing and that it is just something about the BMW transmission.

He said that they had replaced a transmission in a Z3 under warranty, and it still did it. He also took me for a ride in another manual BMW 3 series and it did it.

Again, if you push the clutch in a little slower, or the car is cold, it doesn't do it.

Anyway, I feel better knowing that there isn't an apparent problem here.

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum has any comments on this?

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

#6 ·
no, there's no problem. You are right and so was your technician. The bmw manuals do have a strange amount of slack inside. Which makes perfect sense to cause the clunk that you are hearing, especially when warm (fluid is thinner and tollerances are greater.. therefore more slack). It's the sudden release of all of the torque which causes your clunk.

#7 ·
EXtech,

Thanks for the back up. Nice to know that you agree. I was really impressed with the Master Technician at the dealership. He was straightfoward and went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable with his diagnosis. Also, he remembered everything about my car from stuff he had done 3+ months ago.

EXtech, thanks for the reinforcements :cheers It makes me feel even better about it.

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.