2001 - 325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NicB. is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
All right, so I found one more BMW for sale. It is a 2001 325i with 81k (mostly highway). The previous owner had all scheduled maintenance done at dealer and has all records with car. It is in good shape and drives well, no visible leaks or accident damage, and everything appears to function properly. It is the premium package and the guy bought it brand new; he is selling to buy a brand new five series. The only thing I would have to replace is the hood ornament, which for some reason is fading and missing some of the blue (replacement kits on ebay for < $20). Anyway, the guy is asking $14,900, which seems a little low, and I could probably get him down to $14,000 flat. The only other disappointment is that the car has an automatic and not a manual (sigh).

What does everyone think of this? I'm a little apprehensive about buying from a private party, especially when he said I couldn't have my mechanic check it out (although he did say i could take it to the dealer). My biggest fear is buying a BMW with the mileage this car has, and then things start to go wrong.

Can anyone place some feedback on this issue? Also, what type of charges do BMW dealers charge. Just for example, oil changes, replace plugs, cv repair, brake changes, etc... Any help would be appreciated...

NicB.

2000 BMW 328i
Spt. & Prem. Package
5-Speed Manual

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jefft325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me start w/ this - don't buy this car

It sounds like you really want a manual, so why settle for an automatic? It sounds like your a bit blinded by everything else the car is offering and possibly willing to overlook the fact it's an automatic? There are a lot of used 3 series out there - hold out for the one you want. You don't want to regret the purchase afterward. If you want a moonroof and you find a car you like that doesn't have it, that's one thing, but the tranny choice is critical. Besides, auto's are B-O-R-I-N-G. You want the manual.

I'd also be very leery of the fact he won't let you take it to the mechanic of your choice. I'd just be careful there.....

I don't think buying from private party is that big of a deal. Dealers sell shady cars too. Regardless of where you buy it, your buying a used car, so breakdowns and repairs and inevitable.

BMW repairs are not cheap - an oil change (recommended every 15K miles in the E46) at my local BMW dealer is $70 or so, as best I can remember. Give or take $10. I just had my rear brakes replaced and it was ~$500 (BMW replaces the rotors instead of resurfacing them).

With that said, the driving enjoyment of the car, for me at least, outweighs any repairs or additional costs I've incurred. To wrap this up, I would recommend holding out for the car you want - the best advice I can give you is this....find a car with a manual transmission and the Sport Package. Anything else it may come with is just a bonus.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)