BMW Werkz banner

2000 323i A/C Noisy (rattles), intermittantly inop

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Devillion 
#1 ·
My Beemer sounds like it has an air conditioner powered by Harley Davidson. :blink:
Sometimes the danged thing doesn't work at all, and when it does work, it makes the most God awful racket. :wrench
I'm pretty handy with tools and stuff, so if this is something silly like maybe something just came loose, I'd like to try to fix it myself. My warrantee has expired, so I'm kinda stuck. Sounds to me like maybe the compressor is dying, but I don't really know for sure. All I know is I can't afford to have the dealer fix it.
Anybody know how much a new compressor costs? :help

#3 ·
Working on the AC system is best left to the pros due the the high pressures on the gas used in the system. While theoretically you can do the work yourself few people have access to the tools required to reclaim the gas and then vacuum the system down to a negative pressure to remove unwanted air from the system. You could have the system discharged, bring the car home replace the compressor yourself, and then take it to have it recharged. Also the compressor may be good but the clutch on the compressor could be bad, or it could be as simple as the system is low on gas. As much as it may suck to pay the bill an independant shop might be the best option.
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.