2000 323i with 220k Should I be scared? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dawgs72 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2000 323i with 220k Should I be scared?

Basically my question is if I did buy a 2000 323i with said mileage is there anything I should worry about as far as using it for a daily driver? I usually put about 500 miles a month on a car. Also I would be going a pretty good distance to get it home

It has a new clutch, four wheel brake job, front calipers. A recent radiator, electric fan, upper/lower rad hoses, sensors, expansion tank, thermostat, condensor, A/C and dye service. New tires and it's a 5-speed.

Thanks

PS: I hope this is in the right place

Last edited by dawgs72; 08-03-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
It's not even broke in yet.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I would be very concerned with anything rubber on the car. Make sure that all that is replaced or be sure to replace it when you get it. By this I mean all hoses, suspension bushings, balljoints, brake lines, etc. In general, however, even at 220k you can expect good things out of that car. My 1996 has 208k and works like a beauty (outside of the maintenance matters).

#4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
But with the work I listed would it be okay for a 700mile trip home?

Also I forgot to put it had the power steering lines replaced not long ago.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Also I'm just curious as it will in no way affect my final decision on the car but how does it compare in quickness to my LS1 Camaro?

(Is there a time frame limit on editing your post here?)
#6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, we have a time limit of 30 minutes on post edits. The LS1 Camaro is wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster than the 323. Wayyyyy faster.

With the work listed, you should be good to go on that trip

Just be sure to have all the little things looked at once you get home.

(And be sure to come back and show us some pics in the pcture showroom, and just hang around in general)

#7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Neutral Member

Criminal is an unknown quantity at this point
My advice is to get a less milage car at least below 100k. Unless he's willing to sell it for half market price. My car is 96 model and it has only 120K.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
your gonna buy a 323 w/ <200Kmi and go 700mi to get it? Is there something your not telling us? Is it free?
The only things likely to fail on a car w/ that mileage during a trip that far would be your water pump or belts. I wouldn't travel that distance in that car unless i was sure those had been checked and/or replaced. I also wouldn't consider that car as a daily driver unless it came w/ all service records and had been properly maintained.

Also, a 323 is the bottom of the barrel BMW sells in the U.S....if your looking for performance, look elsewhere.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I would be buying the car from a licensed BMW tech and maintained by him since 2000. As far as price goes it is pretty close to half of what it blue books for and I figured the Camaro would be a lot faster but I'm not looking for performance anyways just a nice FWD car for snow mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllphan
your gonna buy a 323 w/ <200Kmi and go 700mi to get it? Is there something your not telling us? Is it free?
The only things likely to fail on a car w/ that mileage during a trip that far would be your water pump or belts. I wouldn't travel that distance in that car unless i was sure those had been checked and/or replaced. I also wouldn't consider that car as a daily driver unless it came w/ all service records and had been properly maintained.

Also, a 323 is the bottom of the barrel BMW sells in the U.S....if your looking for performance, look elsewhere.
I'm not going to buy it until I talk to the guy some more about it. I came here asking before I did jump into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Yes, we have a time limit of 30 minutes on post edits. The LS1 Camaro is wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster than the 323. Wayyyyy faster.

With the work listed, you should be good to go on that trip

Just be sure to have all the little things looked at once you get home.

(And be sure to come back and show us some pics in the pcture showroom, and just hang around in general)
If I do end up with it I'll be sure and hang around from what I've read so far this seems like a fairly knowledgable site.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
Fairly knowledgable site. We're god
#11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Neutral Member

chromejunkie is on a distinguished road
Cool

uh well the 323 is rwd also
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs72
I would be buying the car from a licensed BMW tech and maintained by him since 2000. As far as price goes it is pretty close to half of what it blue books for and I figured the Camaro would be a lot faster but I'm not looking for performance anyways just a nice FWD car for snow mostly.

I'm not going to buy it until I talk to the guy some more about it. I came here asking before I did jump into it.

If I do end up with it I'll be sure and hang around from what I've read so far this seems like a fairly knowledgable site.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
drz
Administrator

Thanks, jilpahn. Yes, be sure that the water pump is replaced or was rather recently. Inspect the drive belt and replace if necessary.

BMW does not make FWD. The 323i you're looking into is rear-wheel drive.

#13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
n00b

tony325ci_51 is on a distinguished road
Power steering pumps are known to fail, if it's very noisy could be impending.

I wouldn't worry about mileage if it's been well looked after, my 2001 325ci's got 170k, I do 350 miles a week and it runs like a dream. I do interrim between-service oil and filter changes with BMW LL01 spec Catrol Edge oil.

In the last couple of years I've had to replace only a power steering pump, front wishbone, new tyres and brakes all round, above the usual service items.

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 08-13-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)