1999 328i Stereo - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steinalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Steinalero Send a message via MSN to Steinalero
(Thread Starter)
Im just wondering 1) how to remove the factory stereo (a site with some pictures would be most helpful) and 2) if anyone knows any good subwoofers that would hook into the stock radio. I know about basslink but I've heard that theres too much bass and not enough treble. I was thinking I would get a new head unit but I don't know how good that would look in a bimmer. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:21 PM
n00b

DexBeemer is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a site that you can check out. It tells you how to remove the trim which will help you get closer to your stereo. It also has some other good info.

Good luck.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howto.php
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Neutral Member

clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Steinalero@Apr 3 2005, 06:26 PM
Im just wondering 1) how to remove the factory stereo (a site with some pictures would be most helpful) and 2) if anyone knows any good subwoofers that would hook into the stock radio. I know about basslink but I've heard that theres too much bass and not enough treble. I was thinking I would get a new head unit but I don't know how good that would look in a bimmer. Any suggestions? Thanks
[snapback]324706[/snapback]
Once the snap-on trim is removed, its pretty easy to get to the head unit. Just make sure the snaps stay in-tact because they are very easy to break (pretty sure they are no more than 30 cents at the dealer). As far as too much bass in your system I would worry about that too much. BMW makes a huge effort to make sure the cabin in quiet, especially from road noise. Depending on the way that you mount them, you are going to loose alot of sound form the insulation and back seat alone so just the power form the head unit is not going to turn your vehicle into a bass machine.

Now if you just want to just replace your rear speakers with better or more heavy duty ones you are looking for just woofers (Sub-woofers have two voice coils and beg for power) but too musch power in deck mounting can cause vibration and clatter in the rear of your vehicle. The rear of your above the rear deck along the wall houses sensitive equipment such as modulaters, defrost, radio reception boosters to name a few, so you definately don't want to put cause malfuction in anything.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 07:56 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
The stock stereo is quite easy to remove. The silver/wood trim can be gently prised off starting from the passenger door end. Use something blunt like the handle of a teaspoon. Once removed there are a couple of screws holding the head unit in place. Remove these and the HU just slides out.

The weak part of the stock system is the speakers. If you replace the speakers with some good quality ones it will sound a lot better.

I still use the stock system. I replaced the front speakers with some extremely good components and some ok ones in the back (often disconnected). The rear speaker output drives an amp and sub mounted over the ski hatch (so as to not lose trunk space.

Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.JPG
Views:	758
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	19392  
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Neutral Member

clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by PMB@Apr 4 2005, 06:56 AM
The stock stereo is quite easy to remove. The silver/wood trim can be gently prised off starting from the passenger door end. Use something blunt like the handle of a teaspoon. Once removed there are a couple of screws holding the head unit in place. Remove these and the HU just slides out.

The weak part of the stock system is the speakers. If you replace the speakers with some good quality ones it will sound a lot better.

I still use the stock system. I replaced the front speakers with some extremely good components and some ok ones in the back (often disconnected). The rear speaker output drives an amp and sub mounted over the ski hatch (so as to not lose trunk space.

Picture attached.
[snapback]325085[/snapback]
That looks good!!! Not too much and not too little.

I actually have a DVD player in the same location operating the two in my head rest.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 PM
n00b

Steinalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Steinalero Send a message via MSN to Steinalero
(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks everyone, I just took the head unit out, it was incredibly easy. I think I will replace the speakers and might add a sub. One of my speakers is blown anyway so i should probably replace them. Thanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)