BMW Werkz banner

1999 328 - New Owner Questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  doughboyea 
#1 ·
I just got my first BMW (a nice used 1999 328i)

I have a lot of questions about the various features and the manual does not seem to answer them.

When I lock the car with the remote - the alram does not seem to arm (no horn 'chirps') is there something I need to do to activate it?

Can I set the door locks to automatically lock when the car is in motion?

Can the head lights be set to be on with the ignition switch?

I want to modify the car as best I can and squeeze as much performance as I can out of it, any tips would be apprciated!

Thanks
Tim Kemp

#2 ·
1. When I lock the car with the remote - the alram does not seem to arm (no horn 'chirps') is there something I need to do to activate it?

I'm pretty sure I drove an e46 3-Series...that chirped....you have to take it to the dealer....they have to program it into your vehicle....if it is possible...

Once again...I'd advice talking to your dealer....I think if I remember correctly....the speed limit is 10/15mph....for the doors to lock. The dealer has to program it into your vehicle....if it is possible.

Yes....you either have to turn the dial to the headlights position...leave it permanently there....when you turn the ignition switch....or go to the dealer....if it is possible...

If all else fails....call your dealer...it doesn't hurt to just talk to the service advisor :thumbs

#3 ·
Originally posted by tkemp@Oct 9 2004, 12:01 AM
I just got my first BMW (a nice used 1999 328i)

I have a lot of questions about the various features and the manual does not seem to answer them.

When I lock the car with the remote - the alram does not seem to arm (no horn 'chirps') is there something I need to do to activate it?

I want to modify the car as best I can and squeeze as much performance as I can out of it, any tips would be apprciated!

Thanks
Tim Kemp
[snapback]208071[/snapback]​
Well, seeing as how I've had the same dilema with my car (also an E46 '99 328i) here is what i've found out... The alarm function on our year model was an option... it is prewired for it, but doesn't mean that you have it installed.

Here's a link from me asking the same question back in April....Click Here

Yes it can be set to lock as the car moves, however, that can only be done by the dealer.. or someone with the $10k computer that they use.

I don't know what you mean by that head light thing... If you mean daytime running lights.. again dealer thing.

Performance... ah yes, Powerchips, Jim Conforti, etc... there's intakes, scheick cams, ect ect... there are things to do... just all cost $$$$.

I highly recommend that you do a search on the forum, using it will help you find all the information... you could even search what i've posted (and asked) by clicking on my name. I've had the same questions as you. Personlly for my 328i, I'm planning on getting the powerchips and intake around the spring time (assuming i have the money for it). It would raise the torque to 220lbft and the HP up to around 206.

Hope this helps :welcome ,
Dough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.