06 325i Strange Electrical (Maybe?) Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shawnbot is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
06 325i Strange Electrical (Maybe?) Problem

This is my first BMW and up to this point I've been very pleased. Today, however, something strange started happening. I was driving home from the movies when just a few blocks from home all the lights on the dash came on (all warning, information, etc.) simultaneously and the wipers started up. I couldn't get the wipers to stop using the controls, so I pulled over. After a few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong, I shut the car off but the wipers kept going. I then pulled the key out and that finally stopped the wipers. I started the car and drove the rest of the way home without incident. Later today I was getting ready to head out of town for work (I'm on a contract in a town 2 hrs from where I live so I travel Sunday and return Friday, but since today was holiday Monday....) Anyway, I started the car and the same thing happened within a few minutes of driving. I turned around and went back home and called roadside. They told me there was nothing they could do and I would have to call the dealership tomorrow. At this point I don't want to drive the car and in this condition it's not drivable anyway. So here I am, having borrowed my wife's car while my 45 day old beamer sits parked in my drive way.

Aside from the inconvenience, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am replying mainly to show moral support, so taht you know that we do try to help members here. With that said: the problem may be due to a bad electrical connection somewhere, or even a bad battery. When all the lights come on like that, usually it means that the various systems are being starved for either voltage or current. How were your headlights behaving?

Since the car is new, the only sound move is to take it to the dealership. Maybe a reflash or something like that may help it.

I am sorry for not being of more help.

- Daniel

#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 AM
n00b

shawnbot is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply Daniel....I have to say that researching this problem did give me great concern given the sheer amount of problems and issues reported by BMW owners.

To answer your question, no there was nothing unusal about the headlights, they were as bright as ever.

I will be contacting the dealership this morning and I will post an update.

Shawn
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
One thing you must take into consideration is that people come and post on the boards when they have a problem. We don't routinely get up in the morning and start threads jsut to say that the car is still running fine, without faiult. That is why you will find many threads about problems.

The main issue with your car, perhaps, is that it is a first year model. The new body style (and all the new gadgets, e-systems that come with it) is in its infancy, and this is the time when often little bugs show up that have gone undetected up to this point.

Good luck.

#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
That's a real raw deal, shawnbot...between the braintrust here at Bimmerwerkz and the dealership I'm sure a resolution will be presented, ASAP! I would be a wee bit perturbed to have to look at a brand new BMW in my driveway and not be able to drive it. I wish I could help out with some advice, but it's well beyond anything I could speculate.

Oh, I forgot one thing

GO OILERS GO!
(yes, coming from a born and raised Calgarian)
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Off to the dealer with you! Alot of the "problems" with the E90 can be resolved with programming...chances are your vehicle needs several progamming service actions. I had one E90 litterally 3weeks old, the SRS light kept coming on. BMW kept telling me to reprogam the car...come to find out the SRS module went bad! LOL, poor fellow...but re-affirms my never wanting to buy a first year model, no matter WHAT manufacure it came from.

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
n00b

bmurch is on a distinguished road
hi was there ever a resolution to your problem i am having the same symptoms and need some insight badly even the dealer is stumped!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)