04 330ci sport question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1badbimmer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
04 330ci sport question

hey everyone i'm new to the forum so i wanna first start by saying hello.. i'm sure my next question has been asked before but oh well here goes.. i have a 6speed 330 that is now paid off.. so now its time to modify. i have seen a hpf turbo m3 and fell in love. but at this time i also love my car and am not willing to trade in for a m3. so this situation brings me to this question. which companies offer a turbo or a supercharger that will allow the car to stay a daily driver. people i've talked to before say the 330 was a hard car to tune with a turbo so alot of companies stayed away from it. in a perfect world i'd love to see 450 hp or so but not sure if thats possible with my car.. and or reliable. i apologize if this question has been asked before but any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.. thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
n00b

jayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badbimmer View Post
hey everyone i'm new to the forum so i wanna first start by saying hello.. i'm sure my next question has been asked before but oh well here goes.. i have a 6speed 330 that is now paid off.. so now its time to modify. i have seen a hpf turbo m3 and fell in love. but at this time i also love my car and am not willing to trade in for a m3. so this situation brings me to this question. which companies offer a turbo or a supercharger that will allow the car to stay a daily driver. people i've talked to before say the 330 was a hard car to tune with a turbo so alot of companies stayed away from it. in a perfect world i'd love to see 450 hp or so but not sure if thats possible with my car.. and or reliable. i apologize if this question has been asked before but any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.. thanks...
Welcome to the forum!

Will you be installing it yourself or will it be done at a shop?

You should be able to reach 450 hp, but it depends on how much you are looking to spend.

Choices along the way will determine streetability and reliability. When you boost airflow of about 10+ psi into the engine , it is usually not a set it and forget it solution. There are tons of drivetrain parts down the line that will be on the receiving end of all that increased torque and may need to be upgraded. You may find out later that after adding a super/turbocharger, you may need better suspension, bigger brakes, more airflow (exhaust), increased fuel pressure (injectors and fuel pump), stronger transmission & differential, etc. -All that stuff can add up quick, and it also means downtime.

Each time factory equipment is replaced by aftermarket equipment, there can be an increased or decreased chance that that part will need to be fixed again in the future, depending on the skill level and experience of the mechanic.

You probably shouldn't mod your 'daily driver' into a 450 HP beast. This would be a much better project for a 'weekend warrior' or if you had a dependable back up car.

If you want horsepower that doesn't ever require any fiddling with, then you would be best to choose a different car with the desired level of hp from the factory.

Last edited by jayton; 11-03-2008 at 12:19 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear Member

Steve323i99 is on a distinguished road
Look into Active AutoWerkz. they have a good selection of Superchargers and supply with thier kits most of the required engine up grade parts.
+1 on updating other parts to, ie.. Exhaust, brakes, and possible suspension to adjust for the increase of HP. There is another Forced induction company out there that I hear is pretty good also I just can't remember the name right now. Check out the threads in the Forced induction forum.
Good luck.

UUC TSE3 | ST V1 coilovers | TMS sways | CSL replicas 18"x8.5" | ATE slotted rotors w/ Axxis USP | Clear lights all around
#4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for your help, and yes i do have a back up car, but its hard not to drive the 330 haha. i am going to be having a shop do the install for me. this is just a really good forum and just wanted your opinions on the subject. most people who i talk to dont give me much info they just all say why would you want to do that to a 330 just trade it in on a m3 and so on. thanks again for the info. one other question, whats everyones opinion on superchargers, vs turbo.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
n00b

jayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badbimmer View Post
thanks for your help, and yes i do have a back up car, but its hard not to drive the 330 haha. i am going to be having a shop do the install for me. this is just a really good forum and just wanted your opinions on the subject. most people who i talk to dont give me much info they just all say why would you want to do that to a 330 just trade it in on a m3 and so on. thanks again for the info. one other question, whats everyones opinion on superchargers, vs turbo.
What part of the country do you live in? Depending on how far away you are willing to drive to a shop for the install may limit what choices are available to you.

Read up on superchargers and turbo. You will quickly see that turbo is by far the more superior concept. Turbo is such a great technology as far as efficiency, that I think that every engine ever produced should include turbo. Superchargers add a huge load on your engine to make its boost. Turbo spins up from a propeller in with your exhaust gases, that were already free-flowing out the tailpipe anyway.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i'm from the northeast but willing to travel to find a good installer.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
also dave at horsepower freaks on west coast told me turbo kits for the 330's are currently being worked on now. and should be available in 09 and if anyone hasn't heard of them who owns a m3 definately give them a call. you can also find their vids on youtube
#8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i guess i'm definately going to go with a turbo then. i just want to thank everyone for their help and i will keep you updated on the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)