'04 325ci Oil Change questions.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Docta2002 is on a distinguished road
'04 325ci Oil Change questions....

1st off, I'm a Honda guy. My sister has a 325ci for a while already and w/e, she mistreats the car like most women do... That being said, I want to start taking care of her car now that she allows me to. (I guess I got her trust by building my own engine and knowing how to do everything on MY car).

So I have a few questions:

1. What's the recommended oil to use and how much? She doesnt know, she just pays those rip-off Jiffy Lube and such companies..
2. Can I find the oil filter at Discount Auto parts/Autozone/Wal-Mart? I'm not really looking for Royal Purple quality (like i use in mine) but definitely NOT the cheapest crap out there either. Basically, does Fram/Purolator make oil filters for this car? (i'll find the p# once im there...)
3. I'm not gonna ask if it's easy or not to change the oil, but where can I find the instructions to do such thing? I know with Hondas, we have a 'Book' for each car and/or engine... and I know the bimmerz must have one too so where can I find it and/or can someone (if you have it) post that page or two which contains such info.

I'm pretty sure I got everything relating to tools, just trying to accquire the knowledge to work on those great handling german cars you all love. Thanks for reading.
Docta2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta2002 View Post
1st off, I'm a Honda guy. My sister has a 325ci for a while already and w/e, she mistreats the car like most women do... That being said, I want to start taking care of her car now that she allows me to. (I guess I got her trust by building my own engine and knowing how to do everything on MY car).

1. What's the recommended oil to use and how much? She doesnt know, she just pays those rip-off Jiffy Lube and such companies..
2. Can I find the oil filter at Discount Auto parts/Autozone/Wal-Mart? I'm not really looking for Royal Purple quality (like i use in mine) but definitely NOT the cheapest crap out there either. Basically, does Fram/Purolator make oil filters for this car? (i'll find the p# once im there...)
3. I'm not gonna ask if it's easy or not to change the oil, but where can I find the instructions to do such thing? I know with Hondas, we have a 'Book' for each car and/or engine... and I know the bimmerz must have one too so where can I find it and/or can someone (if you have it) post that page or two which contains such info.

I'm pretty sure I got everything relating to tools, just trying to accquire the knowledge to work on those great handling german cars you all love. Thanks for reading.
1. Go with Synthetic. Which brands to use is a neverending debate. I used Mobil1 on my previous 3 Series and I have been running my E46 with Castrol syntec. I've always used 5w30, but I guess you can look into using something different depending on your climate.
2. Yes, you should be able to find teh filter in a parts store, but you'll pay triple for an STP/FRAM of what you would be paying for OEM brands like MANN/Mahle if you buy online. If you want to start maintaining this car to that it gets taken care of properly, I suggest you buy online.
3. The best book you will find is the Bentley Publishers E46 service manual. It will run about $100 or less on amazon, but it is worth it. It is still not a definitive guide, but you won't find anything better, particularly from Haynes or Chilton. The oil change is very simple. In fact it was much easier than changing the oil on my sister's Civic. For most tasks you can find a DIY online. Here is an example for teh E46 oil change: my 330i - Garage.

Welcome to bimmerwerkz!

P.S. I moved this to the E46 section
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks DRZ.

How many quarts does it take?

Another question I came across is, her (my sister) CEL is on due to the 'oil service w/e interval'.... how do I reset the ECU or what do I need to do to remove the check engine light?

I'll definitely purchase full synthetic oil. That's what I use on my car.... But what weight for her car that has 76k. We live in Miami, FL.... hot as hell so it can be a more viscous oil but give me a number please. As for the oil filter, we'll just get what we find at the auto parts store this time, but for next time, I'll definitely buy online... Online IS way cheaper.... Thanks for the help so far Bimmerwerks community!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I doubt the CEL is due to the oil service interval. Have the codes read at AUtozone or similar and we can go from there.

The DIY I linked to might have a procedure to reset the oil service interval light. All you need to do is HOLD the left odometer reset button WHILE turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done. Here it is in video form: Blogworthy

76k is nothing on that engine. It is barely broken in. I'd suggest you run the same eight you run on your car I ran 5w30 on my E36 with 220,000 miles living in Arkansas and I run 5w30 on my E46 with 60,000 living in Texas.

By the way, if you have a BMW dealershi nearby, they will probably charge as much for an OEM filter as Autozone will charge for a FRAM. I wouldn't even put a FRAM filter on teh Civic, btw.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hehehehe, I've done it a few times (in regards to the fram oil filter...) but for the past two years I just buy oem Honda filter in packs of 6 to save. I'll let you know tomorrow or sunday how my 1st exoerience with the bimmer went... Thanks again
Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
DRZ said everything I would have said. I personally use Mobile1 0w30, I've been wanting to use 5w30 but Wal Mart only ever has 0w30 when I'm about to change my oil.

One word of caution though, since the e46 has a canister filter make sure you don't over tighten the plastic cap. It cracks easier than you'd think...that's to blame for the giant oil stain on the floor of my garage...well, I guess I'm to blame. Now I ALWAYS use a torque wrench.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: BMW Individual2001 E46 325CI manual
Photos:
sprintman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Neither Syntec 5W30 or M1 0/5/10W30 meet spec. They are only ACEA A1 oils, and the oil needs to meet ACEA A3,B3 and better LL01 so they are to thin, and worse the HTHS is to low.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2001/BMW/325Ci
Photos:
nickxtsui is on a distinguished road
1. I use castrol 5w-40. Manual says you can 0w-X or 5w-X, where X indicates 30 and above

2. I dont think it is hard to change oil for E46. The drain plug is easy to locate since it is just sitting at the bottom of the oil tank. I did not use manual, and I just did it. I think there is a vid on youtube that shows you how to change oil for a E46.

Good luck man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta2002 View Post

天若有情天亦老 人间正道是沧桑
A bimmer from Nanjing, China
nickxtsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)