02 325i 62k miles.. good buy? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kpaxian07 is on a distinguished road
02 325i 62k miles.. good buy?

there's a 02 325i with 62k miles on it that im really interested in. the car has premium package, cold weather package and premium sound system. the dealer is asking for $16500. the car is a certified pre-owned vehicle and the warrany lasts till july 08. is this good value for the price? for that much money i can get a 2005 camry with low miles. but of course bmws are far more fun to drive. also what kind of maintenance expenses am i looking at after the warranty expires?

thanks!
kpaxian07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
FL325i is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds like a decent deal. We got a 2003 325i with the premium package with about half the mileage for quite a bit more last year. We've had window regulator work done, a sunroof problem fixed, the auto tranny reprogrammed, interior door trim fixed, all under warranty, in that year. Bet the repair expenses are greater with the BMW, but the ride just doesn't compare.
FL325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
If the car's not a lemon, and you're willing to take care of some of the items yourself, budget about $400 a year to maintenance. If you let the dealer or a mechanic touch the car instead, budget about $1,000 a year.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 97' Eclipse GSX
Photos:
M3What? is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind, that the german engines are very crammed and hard to work on, and the parts are very expensive for BMWs. Can't guarantee what will and wont go wrong, but be prepared. Price seems good for the car, with the warranty. Also when buying a car from a dealership it's always negotiable even if you save a grand, that covers 4 tires and oil changes.

M3What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
I completely disagree with M3What. The german engines are efficiently laid out, not "crammed". I'll tell you what's cramped, the V-6 in my wife's Mazda 6 and my brother's Taurus. Having to remove an intake manifold to swap spark plugs is ludicrous and what's up with all those wires running from corner to corner? From the cars I've seen under the hood, BMW has the finest bit of organization with their parts. The engines are a breeze to work on if you have the know-how (hello Bentley manual) and free time. The parts are not "very expensive" if you purchase them from somewhere other than a dealership. Online wholesalers abound and are routinely mentioned in these forums.

Also, the E46 usually has a few particular parts that go and right around a specific mileage (camshaft sensors, window regulators, batteries) so yes, expect to replace a few particular parts within the next couple years... hence budgeting about $400 per year to cover the average over that time.

With a year and a half left on the warranty, you'll probably encounter most of your typical E46 problems before it runs out.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie
I completely disagree with M3What. The german engines are efficiently laid out, not "crammed". From the cars I've seen under the hood, BMW has the finest bit of organization with their parts. The engines are a breeze to work on if you have the know-how (hello Bentley manual) and free time. The parts are not "very expensive" if you purchase them from somewhere other than a dealership. Online wholesalers abound and are routinely mentioned in these forums.
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)