BMW Werkz banner

Wrong Kind Of Coolant In Engine Need To Flush

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  frank3 
#1 ·
Ok so I went for an oil change at a local pep boys. I've been going there for a while. They usually do a great job and most of the time every thing is cool (i.e they have the right filter, they've never broken my oil drain plug, no problems.) but this past time some dumb slapnut topped off my coolant with the Gm Dexcool stuff. What I had in there before was your average green stuff.

I already know about the hazards of mixing the two so please don't go into that I also know all about the cavitation the precipation of the sillicates and all of that.

I've read all of those threads.

I Planning picking up the BMW approved coolant and switching it out.

I also know how to drain the coolant.

My question is: Can I run fresh water into my cooling system and circulate it through after I've drained the old coolant to make sure all of that crap is out of there before I put in the new BMW coolant? I'm planning on adding the water wetter also.

:idea2

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's what I would do if I were in your position. Pull the coolant drain plug on the radiator, open the overflow tank, remove the air bleeder screw from top of radiator, put hose into the over flow tank.

Now turn the hose on and start the car with the heat on full blast and hold rpms steady at about 3~4k. If the needle for the water temp starts going beyond the 12 o'clock turn off the car and let it cool for a few minutes.

Continue running the car until clear water is coming out the radiator bleed screw. Once you've done that run the water threw for a little more to make sure everything is out. Probably another couple of minutes to be safe.

Now drain the block and the radiator and turn off the hose. Let everything drain out and fill with your distilled water and coolant. At this point you'll need to follow the normal coolant fill so as to not get air bubbles in the system

#5 ·
Great Guys thats what I needed to hear thanks!!!

#6 ·
Here's what I'd do...go back to Pep Boys and demand that they rectify the situation...for free of course!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.