BMW Werkz banner

Worried

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  botero17 
#1 ·
I just purchase my first BMW 1993 325i alpine white sedan, everything seems ok, the guy that sold it to me told me that i just need to change a gasket because it was leaking oil to the spark plugs, I have not had the money to change it, but I still been driving around like that, yestersday i just started to notice that alot o smog comes out in the morning or when the car is cold, and disapears when it warms up, could someone help me and let me know if that is bad? also is telling me the cin board computer something about break light circuit problem, is that easy to change? please help..

:driving

the smog it is white and it is quite abit... as I accelerate

#2 ·
white smoke, black smoke, or blue/grey smoke?

If its white, its normal. Same thing as "seeing you breath" when its cold.

If its black, just give up and sell the car.

Its its blue/gray then you're burning oil, and will continue to do so.

#3 ·
its normal to have a lot of exhaust smoke comming out in the morning now that its colder (in most parts of the Northamerica).

check elpresidentes post above for the breakdown......

as for a gasket that needs to be changed did you remember which one it was? profile gasket? upper ? etc

#4 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Oct 21 2004, 10:07 AM

[snapback]215493[/snapback]​
he mentioned it was the gasket for the spark plugs and the one just above i believe he sayd is the one for the injectors

#5 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Oct 21 2004, 10:07 AM

[snapback]215493[/snapback]​

it is white dense smoke and it get into a significant size cloud, it worries me, is there something i can do to fix it?

#10 ·
as you've been told white "smoke" is common for cold morning starts. likely, the white "smoke" is actually vapor. commonly water may collect in the tailpipe causing the white vapor which is most visible when it's cold after the car has sat overnight. however, if your noticing an excessive amount, then you may be noticing the early symptoms of a serious problem. check your coolant level and scent. if it must be filled frequetly, check for the scent of gasoline. if these two conditions exist you do have a compromised head sealing problem. if only one of these conditions exist or you're not sure, you can check the cylinders to be absolutley sure. this is done by removing the spark plug of the suspected cylinder one-by-one. obvious coolant spraying out indicates that you have either a blown gasket, a cracked head, or a warped head. in either case it will be quite costly. however, even in the worst case (being a deep crack through the valve seats) a good engine machine shop can TIG weld it good again and do a valve job for under $400.00. So if your up for the challenge save the $1000.00 labor and get a Haynes or Chilton manual and take the head off youself.

#12 ·
thank you for all your input, it is white smoke, and yes it cleans rather fast, but it is quite emparassing to be the cloud car, is there anything out there in the market I can use torectify this, i change the oil and use only red line syntetic, onlu bosch platinum and go to jiffy lube for service...what else do you recommend

#15 ·
My car does that too. Its normal. The only thing you should worry about is if your driving it at midday or so and its spewing white smoke. (CA weather owns). If your worried about something leaking that should not be. Try Bar's leaks products. They are the only approved product that will pass through BMW systems without problems. That will seal up anything leaking.

Good Luck!!

-Steveo

#16 ·
Originally posted by steveo34@Oct 30 2004, 12:40 AM
My car does that too. Its normal. The only thing you should worry about is if your driving it at midday or so and its spewing white smoke. (CA weather owns). If your worried about something leaking that should not be. Try Bar's leaks products. They are the only approved product that will pass through BMW systems without problems. That will seal up anything leaking.

Good Luck!!

-Steveo
[snapback]221107[/snapback]​

Thank you for the advise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.