BMW Werkz banner

Wishbone/rear Lower Control Arm

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  doughnutboy 
#1 ·
Ya...wishone is now bent in half...i have to replace it...obviously. I found one for 40 bucks. Only thing is im afraid ill have to drop my differential in order to replace the damn 40 dollar piece of metal. Anyone know of a good diy for replacing a wishbone? Thanks!

-Jeremy

#2 ·
None that I know of, sorry. I looked for one until I gave up in January after mine broke. According to teh Bentley manual, you don't have to drop the differential, but their instrucions are very brief -- they suck.

By the way, I took my car to the dealership, mainly because the control arm was already broken, and I was parked on a slanted surface.

Good luck.

#3 ·
There's nothing hard about replacing it. Just take the wheel off, pop off the two bolts on either end, and tap out the arm with a hammer. Installation is the reverse, use threadlocker if you don't replace the hardware with new ones. Torque the inner to 57ft-lb, and the outer to 81ft-lb.

#4 ·
Thats what i thought as well...maybe its the bushing thats getting in the way of the bolt. But when i try to pull the bolt all the way out (the one by the differential) it runs into the side of it and i cant take it out all the way...they really should make a diy...maybe ill be the one to do that...haha...since ill probably be spending an entire day working on it. Maybe even make one on replacing the output shaft as well, since i have to replace that....itll be a fun day once the parts come in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.