windshield cowl drain - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 94 325i two toned full body kit
Photos:
vincentmb615 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vincentmb615
Angry windshield cowl drain

anybody have a picture of the e36 cowl drain hose i cant find it anywere i took the cover off on the pasenger side and the center grate but cant seem to find the hose and is sealing the dme case with silicone a good idea? im contemplating sealing off the whole dme box with silicone and running two vaccum lines off the intake to the front face of the dme box so it doesnt overheat but i cant find hose any help?
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
It looks to be fig.1 pic... in link below.....

Pelican Technical Article: BMW DME Motronic ECU Swap / Repair

johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
now i have herd pulling this out is a easy fix for the dme issue i dont have it nor want it should i just pull the hose out?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmb615 View Post
now i have herd pulling this out is a easy fix for the dme issue i dont have it nor want it should i just pull the hose out?
The link explains what to do about the flooding issue, here is a sample:

Early E36 DME Compartment Flooding Problem

Pelican Technical Article: BMW DME Motronic ECU Swap / Repair

On E36 BMWs manufactured prior to July of 1994, there is a design problem with the car that has caused a lot of problems with the main DME computer. The water relief channels of the car are not beefy enough to withstand a significant influx of water onto the car, or the windshield. While perfectly adequate for anything that nature may throw at the car, the channels are woefully inadequate for a car wash. If too much water is used, or if the water channels are clogged with leaves or debris, the water will overflow and leak into the compartment where the DME is stored (see the Pelican Technical Article on DME Chip Replacements for the location of the DME in the engine compartment). I have heard stories of owners who have opened this compartment, only to have a gallon of water or more come flowing out. Needless to say, having the main computer for the car submerged in water is not a good thing.

How exactly does the water get into the box? The DME compartment is located right next to the intake plenum cowl for the heating and air conditioning system. This cowl is open to the enviroment, and thus will get rain water deposited into it. There are drains at the bottom designed to drain this rainwater. However, if the volume of water is too great, or the channels become clogged with leaves or other debris, this plenum will overflow directly into the DME compartment. If enough water fills this chamber, it may also leak into the passenger side foot well, although this often goes unnoticed, as the water will leak under the passenger floor mat.

BMW has issued a Service Bulletin and a relatively inexpensive fix for the problem. The fix is to install a third drain and use an improved style of drainage hose. The BMW factory bulletin that describes this repair is 41 03 93 (3914), and is dated July 1994. Begin by removing the plastic screen covering the plenum, the portion of the plenum that covers the firewall, and move the wiring harness out of the way on the left side of the engine compartment. Then remove the cylinder head valve cover - you will need to do this to gain clearance for working (see the Pelican Technical Article on Valve Cover Gasket Replacement). Cover the top of the engine with a drop cloth or plastic garbage bag to prevent anything from falling in.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
yeah i read that i was just curious i have herd of people just yankin em out im going to seal the box that houses the dme with clear silicone and run two vac lines off the intake boot to the face of the dme box so i dont have to worry about it
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
pulled house going to see what happens its make a hard 90 degree so it shouldnt be there honestly seems useless
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)