BMW Werkz banner

Window Tinting & Back seat removal

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  camnipotent 
#1 ·
Where can you buy window tinting...? And what is installation like on window tinting? Ive never actually dealt with the stuff before. :blink:

Second was I was considering removing my back seats.... Is it hard to do? bolts and screws or what?

-Thx, Mark

#3 ·
I agree. Most DIY tints look like crap and bubble within a few years.

As for seat removal, you need to pull up on the corners of the bottom cushion. It is held in place by two clips that easily let it pop off. For the top of the rear seat, grab it firmly by the speaker grills and pull forward. It will pop out just like the bottom one, but the upper requires more force.

There is a small chance there will be two bolts also holding the rear in place; they are behind the seatbelt latch and you will need to pull on the seat to see them. If the seat has been removed before then they won't be there because they serve no real point other than being a PITA.

#4 ·
Don't even attempt to install tint. It's only about $200 max for a pro to do it and it will look 1000% better than DIY. We've had a thread about this before and it was nearly unanimous: Pay for the pro install.

#6 ·
Do you have split fold down seats?
If so, it'll take you like 10 minutes to remove them, the only bolts are the ones holding the seatbelts to the chassis.

#8 ·
Tint it yourself with that nice purple tint that comes in a roll at Wal-Mart...take out ALL the seats and just sit on an upside-down milk crate....that would be the SHEEEEIIIIIIIITTT!!!!! :lmao2

#11 ·
Hey guys, i was just curious about how to take the seats out... I just like to know how to do that stuff if i ever need to. Sounds simple enough, and thanx for the replies. Ill try and get some pics around 4 central time today.
-Mark

#12 ·
Originally posted by RIBEMR26@May 20 2004, 09:01 AM
Tint it yourself with that nice purple tint that comes in a roll at Wal-Mart...take out ALL the seats and just sit on an upside-down milk crate....that would be the SHEEEEIIIIIIIITTT!!!!! :lmao2
Better yet, get the red metallic reflective tint. If your car is green, that would be so BAD ASS!

#14 ·
Heres a pic of my car... at the time i only had clear turn signals and rims. Ill try to get a newer picture sometime B)

Attachments

#15 ·
Nice looking car. Good red color.
Post some side view and motor pics.

#16 ·
I know about window tint, and it is not for someone who doesn't have any experience or patience! Especially when it comes to shrinking the rear window tint to make it contour to the window..Well WELL worth it to pay someone pro 150-200 bucks to do it..At my shop i charge $165 for a 4 door car, on an e36 it looks better if you pay about 15-20 extra to take the rear deck out to tint where the 3rd brake light is...When it is cut around the 3rd brake light it looks bad to me...

#18 ·
I have a few more pics.... Since i took these pictures ive done new exhaust clear taillights and conforti intake and cleaned up the engine... so bare with me till i get some new pics :) still doesnt look that bad cept the gap in the front wheel which getting suspension will take care of shortly :D :D :D

Attachments

#19 ·
Here is another.... whats an easy way to attach more than one pic? :p

Attachments

#20 ·
First you have to learn to make your pics smaller. Both in physical size and file size. Physical size changes can be done using the crop feature of a graphics program. File size changes can be done by optimizing (changing the pixel ratio w/o too much change in image quality).

Check out the FAQ here for info on this process.

To combine pics you need a graphics program. See the same FAQ for that also.

btw, using the Picture Forum is the best place for future pics

#21 ·
For tinting, I've seen Solar Guard and Llumar mentioned as very good products.
Call around some shops in your area. The good new products have lifetime warranties.

#22 ·
Originally posted by Kevin325i+May 20 2004, 10:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kevin325i @ May 20 2004, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-camnipotent@May 20 2004, 03:04 PM
Better yet, get the red metallic reflective tint. If your car is green, that would be so BAD ASS!
Dude, you want me to beat you?

Kevin [/b][/quote]
I'd like to see you try. Actually, I would probably go for gold reflective tint on your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.