Window Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spyder4 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Window Question

Hey guys,

Firstly, thank you so much for the help that this forum has already provided me with! It has been a wealth of information. However, I have a problem now which I can't find an answer to.

I have a 318i (1992), and just today, my driver's side window has stopped working. All of the others are working fine, as is the sunroof. I have checked that all the wires under the switch are connected, and tried another switch that I know works, but everything there seems fine. I also took off the door trim, and checked for any loose wires there, but again, I found nothing.

If anyone could offer some suggestions as to what else this could be, it would be much appreciated!

I put my windows up, went into a shop, came back out and went to put them down, and the driver's one didn't go down. I can't think of anything thing that would have caused it. I did have the console apart last night, but like I said, I have checked all the wires, and everything is fine AND it was working fine this morning.

Thanks in advance,
Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Is the window motor running?

#3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
How do I check this? When I press the button, I don't hear any sounds.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
n00b

320Ibeccyz is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if this would be the problem as your sunroof and all other windows are still running but it may help to know that i had a similar problem. All my windows and sunroof stopped working while they were all open.

I presumed it would have been a fuse however, all fuses appeared to be fine. When i did look in the fuse box, i noticed a burnt wire. This had been powering my windows and sunroof from another source and had shorted out. No1 knew how to fix it or what the problem was until finally someone replaced it with another wire with a fuse in it to stop it shorting out again...

Yours doesnt sound like the same problem as its only the one window but check for dodgy little things like i did and you might find something not quite right..
#5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.

I used an amp meter to test both the switch and the motor. All wires going to the switch and the motor have power, so maybe it is a motor issue....
#6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yeah. Pretty much if all your fuses are fine, and if you see continuity all around, and you cannot hear the motor doing anything, you need a new motor. That's my assessment, at least

#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 AM
n00b

jetpacman is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem and the motor was ok... the window mechanism had gone bust the metal bent in such a way that the motor couldnt provide enough leverage more to move the window. I have been told its a common problem with E36's in my region because of a flaw in the design of the window mech.

The drivers goes first because it is the most used and the symtoms were the following:

- the door panel moved when the windo was operated
- noises could be heard from inside the door
- the window wouldnt go up evenly the back used to come out of the channel slightly

then oneday nothing happpened...

To the other guys: Is this a common problem in the North America as well?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpacman
I had a similar problem and the motor was ok... the window mechanism had gone bust the metal bent in such a way that the motor couldnt provide enough leverage more to move the window. I have been told its a common problem with E36's in my region because of a flaw in the design of the window mech.

The drivers goes first because it is the most used and the symtoms were the following:

- the door panel moved when the windo was operated
- noises could be heard from inside the door
- the window wouldnt go up evenly the back used to come out of the channel slightly

then oneday nothing happpened...

To the other guys: Is this a common problem in the North America as well?
My situation is a bit different. Everything was working perfectly well, and then suddenly nothing. No noise, no moement....nothing. I have checked the wires at the switch, and at the motor, and both have a circuit. Therefore, I assume it is the motor....

Any ideas?
#9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 AM
n00b

jetpacman is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the motor to see if its blown. Check the resistance of the motor and compare it with others. Check all the motors to get an idea of what the resistance should be, then check the suspected motor. If it differs vastly then something is wrong. Why not remove the motor and try and hotwire it. I am not sure if window motors have gearboxes but I expect that they should... if it does and the motor turns then it could be a stripped gear...
#10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I do want to take it out, but I am worried about damaging something, namely the window.

Are there any guides around showing how to do it in detail? If so, this would be great!
#11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Neutral Member

Criminal is an unknown quantity at this point
#12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Awesome. I'll check it out now, thanks a lot!
#13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM
n00b

spicer is on a distinguished road
Remove door skin, insulation, and the power window module from the motor. You will see 2 contacts on the motor. Hit them with power and ground and you will know instantly if your motor is any good.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM
n00b

Boss999 is on a distinguished road
i have 1992 318i but it has mechanical window.. manually operated.. can i put a power window on it?
#15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder4 View Post
Hey guys,

Firstly, thank you so much for the help that this forum has already provided me with! It has been a wealth of information. However, I have a problem now which I can't find an answer to.

I have a 318i (1992), and just today, my driver's side window has stopped working. All of the others are working fine, as is the sunroof. I have checked that all the wires under the switch are connected, and tried another switch that I know works, but everything there seems fine. I also took off the door trim, and checked for any loose wires there, but again, I found nothing.

If anyone could offer some suggestions as to what else this could be, it would be much appreciated!

I put my windows up, went into a shop, came back out and went to put them down, and the driver's one didn't go down. I can't think of anything thing that would have caused it. I did have the console apart last night, but like I said, I have checked all the wires, and everything is fine AND it was working fine this morning.

Thanks in advance,
Scott.

Hi, found this: He has 100% feedback............. left window motor....Buy it now....$35.00.....these motors are very costly new, especially the auto-down versions...

eBay Motors: BMW 318 325 328 M3 WINDOW MOTOR,E36 (item 310073293844 end time Oct-05-08 18:49:05 PDT)
johnny,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)