window problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SILVER 325 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy window problem

hi im new here and iv just brought a 325i coupe
the problem is when i open the drivers door the window should come down about half an inch or so it has done but will not go back up when i shut the door or turn the key in the ignition and when i press the key fob it usually makes the wimdow go up too but its not doing so so therfore i cant lock the car does anyone know what it is? and am i making sense cheers
SILVER 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Translation: The window is opening about half an inch whenever you open the door, but you can't close the window after shutting the door manually. So you're afraid someone is going to steal your car.

Information needed: What year is your car?

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
Translation: The window is opening about half an inch whenever you open the door, but you can't close the window after shutting the door manually. So you're afraid someone is going to steal your car.

Information needed: What year is your car?
its a 1992 and it stays open all the time
Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
MEh? I'm confused. If it's open all the time, check fuses first (I guess) and then replace the window motor if that doesn't work. That's what I would do. Anyone else have any guesses?

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
very very very very very very very very confused here. but i'll take a stab at it...

first off, your windows, when working properly should drop a half an inch when you open the door and then go back up as soon as you shut the door all the way.

is your problem that the window doesn't go back up when you close the door or is it that your window won't rollup at all? please be alittle more clear as to the specific problem.

sorry i can't be more help yet, i just need some more info so i can understand the problem.
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_baker
very very very very very very very very confused here. but i'll take a stab at it...

first off, your windows, when working properly should drop a half an inch when you open the door and then go back up as soon as you shut the door all the way.

is your problem that the window doesn't go back up when you close the door or is it that your window won't rollup at all? please be alittle more clear as to the specific problem.

sorry i can't be more help yet, i just need some more info so i can understand the problem.
when i shut the door it still stays open that half inch
Old 12-31-2005, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Does than passenger side still function properly? If so, probably not a fuse.

The automated windows on the coupes are a problem area for the e36, it could be a few different things. The link below may help you out as there are a couple of ideas discussed in that thread.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hreadid=190119

Lastly, the one thing that confused me in your original post, was that you said you could normally activate the "window roll up" with you key fob? If that's the case, you must have an aftermarket alarm (don't think such was offered in '92), and if it's not working properly, your aftermarket alarm may have everything to do with your problem.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllphan
Lastly, the one thing that confused me in your original post, was that you said you could normally activate the "window roll up" with you key fob? If that's the case, you must have an aftermarket alarm (don't think such was offered in '92), and if it's not working properly, your aftermarket alarm may have everything to do with your problem.

very good point jllphan, but what is a key fob? just an alarm/lock/unlock remote?

also, if it is just on that window, then it could just be a bad peice that pushes it up a half inch when it closes. i have no idea what it is called tho. could also be a loose connection or something. i know the lock actuator is notorious for going out because of a bad connection. maybe that helps some. but if you do have an after market alarm system then i think jllphan's on to something.

cheers
Old 12-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
"key fob" is a generic term to describe basically anything that is designed to go on a key ring... but usually in reference to something useful, like those plastic car alarm things. But they can also be magnetic cards, usb drives, mickey mouse bits, etc. etc.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
"key fob" is a generic term to describe basically anything that is designed to go on a key ring... but usually in reference to something useful, like those plastic car alarm things. But they can also be magnetic cards, usb drives, mickey mouse bits, etc. etc.
ah, , well i guess the problem is narrowed down to being related to the alarm or a bad connection/unit (the peice that pushes the window up tight).

not really sure what you should do to check or what to check first. Looks to me like if it worked before with the alarm it should still work fine, unless maybe the alarm has been tampered with since it was installed or maybe a bad connection/short with the alarm. you could check it for shorts if it used to work and just all of a sudden started acting up or quit. then if you find nothing wrong with the alarm wiring i would suggest checking the unit in the door. maybe someone else can tell you where and what wires to check

cheers
Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
well i stripped the door card off and finally found the problem it was the micro chip on the latch that keeps the door closed now i played with this and now when the door is shut i have to push onto the door so that the window goes up that half inch so a new chip im guessing now another problem has occured
non of my electric windows work either side or sunroof iv checked fuses etc etc but the motor for the windows arent even clicking anybody got any clues?:
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i still think it could just be a bad connection somewhere. did they stop working after you took the door panel off?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
i still think it could just be a bad connection somewhere. did they stop working after you took the door panel off?
yes they did but its the 1st time they have completely stopped is there anything else i can look for? cheers
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
it shouldn't be any deeper than, fuses or wiring problems. it honestly sounds to me like it is a bad connect, short, or wires disconnected somewhere. but if both windows are not working then it could be in the wiring to the switches themselves. maybe the hot/live wire to runs to the switches is faulty somewhere. i'll try to find a wiring diagram or something for you do look over.

cheers and good luck!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
it shouldn't be any deeper than, fuses or wiring problems. it honestly sounds to me like it is a bad connect, short, or wires disconnected somewhere. but if both windows are not working then it could be in the wiring to the switches themselves. maybe the hot/live wire to runs to the switches is faulty somewhere. i'll try to find a wiring diagram or something for you do look over.

cheers and good luck!
thanks mate appriciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)