BMW Werkz banner

Window and cig lighter questions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  98lonewolf 
#1 ·
1993 325is
1) Passenger window: Stuck down. Grinding noise when I try to raise it. Know I need to replace/fix components. Question: Is there a manual roll-up? I can't find one on vehicle nor mention of one in Bentley's. Any way to get it back up while budgeting/planning for more permanent fix?

2) Cigarette lighter: Hole is too big for phone charger or radar detector power cords. I don't know if BMW lighters are bigger than everyone else's or if mine has enlarged over time and if I replace it, then power cords will fit nice and snug. Anyone got experience with this?

Thanks very much.

#2 ·
1) I don't think there is any kind of manual role up. Since there is a grinding noise your motor still works. You may need a Window Regulator or something as simple as a window regulator sliding pivot. The regulator is about $130 and the pivot is as low as $3-4.
They're both reasonably easy DIY's if you have an DIY knowledge.

2) You could probably install a larger one easily. I'm not sure why yours doesn't work. I had a 1993 Mercedes with standard sized cigarette lighters (radars and chargers fit) and my '07 335i and '08 535i have standard size cigarette lighters (radars and chargers also fit).
As I said, I'm not sure why yours are miss-sized. My 1993 MBZ kills the theory that they've gotten larger over the years, and my 2 newer BMW's kill the theory that BMW uses different sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.