BMW Werkz banner

Why My Clucth Is Very Hard? Always Got Tired!

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
my clutch is very hard to step down, i tried many janpan cars, those are very soft .
BMW clutch is hard like that?
my clutch got some problem?? need to be fix?

#3 ·
mine is way hard to... my feet are kinda hurting...well thats probably because i wear slippers most of the time.

you need to apply more pressure to push the clutch down compaired to a lot of other cars.... is this normal, or can i adjust it some how so its not so hard?

#4 ·
My 85 528e was like that, i went from driving a honda accord to the 528 and dam, my feet hurt, but i got used to it, then i went back to the honda and i couldnt even feel the clutch, i liked the harder clutch better, i think you will get used to it and learn to like it more.

#5 ·
the clutch is so hard, because you excited it. honestly i dont know. id assume its a matter of leverage and the power of the pressure plate

#7 ·
mine is hard... oh wait we're talking about clutches... Nope, mine feels about the same as my old car (when it had a stock clutch) 92 Toyota Celica... I am not sure what would make the clutch harder to push down. But if it has allways been like that push harder and you'll get used to it.

#8 ·
mine was hard to push down right before it went out...... now i've got 700 miles on a new one and its a lot softer. my knee's don't hurt after extended driving now. i think my 325is is right in between stiffness. some cars are more some are less. look into the wear of ur clutch go, they go without warning

#12 ·
If you can get to it.. have a look at everything... behind your pedal... a lot of times I've seen the rod the goes to your master cylinder cocked at an angle causing binding..... and a lot of time this puts a lot of pressure on the pedal braket... and pretty much breaking it... this is above your master cylinder.

Check that.. and make sure thats not messed up..

Les

#14 ·
Hardness of the BMW clutch only sucks when you're stuck in stop and go traffic.

#15 ·
BMW clutch pedals are "harder" to operated by design.
It's part of the German philosophy that a car is made to be driven and driven hard.

That's also part of the reason why you won't find cup holders in the German version of any of their models. It's gastly for them to think that people will actually eat and drink in cars. To them if you want to eat, park the car and go to a table.

I read an article years ago that some "die-hard" engineers/designers at BMW wanted to stop sending cars to North America, because of this "in-car eating/drinking" culture, but alas, to our benefit economics won out and we get to enjoy these excellent pieces of machinery.

#18 ·
I can't believe people are comparing the clutch on a BMW 3er versus a honda civic. C'mon people look at the obvious answer. Power and precision.

For example, FD rx-7's already have a stiff enough clutch for thier sporty 255 horsepwoer, but in order to gain extra ower and be able to handle it you would need to upgrade the clutch to one thta wouldn't slip. People upgrade to clucthes like ACT 6 and 4 bolt and they dont complain. It is for the mechanics of the car.

P.S. if you think your clutch is stiff dont ever sit in a s2000 or any new e46 M3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.