BMW Werkz banner

Who Drives With Their Fog Lights On?

4K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  ldsbeaker 
#1 ·
just wondering because I think I read a long time ago that it is dumb. Why? I drive with my fog lights on (at night) just to put more light on the road. They look pretty cool too so whats the big deal about?

#2 ·
Originally posted by chr328is@Mar 14 2005, 11:09 PM
just wondering because I think I read a long time ago that it is dumb. Why? I drive with my fog lights on (at night) just to put more light on the road. They look pretty cool too so whats the big deal about?
[snapback]311704[/snapback]​
It's supposed to be bad to use them in the fog because it just makes light reflect off all the water in the air and blind you even more. If it's a clear night and you need more light, I see nothing wrong with using them... I mean, they're THERE...

#3 ·
I don't know about over there in the new world but here it is illegal to drive with fog lights on (front or rear) in anything but poor visibility weather, and I am afraid to say I see the most frequent abuses of that law are from BMW drivers.

Although I think Vauxhall/GM drivers are starting a challe for top position now!

Best regards David

#4 ·
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 08:21 AM
It's supposed to be bad to use them in the fog because it just makes light reflect off all the water in the air and blind you even more. If it's a clear night and you need more light, I see nothing wrong with using them... I mean, they're THERE...
[snapback]311706[/snapback]​
They are actually designed to be used in fog because they have an extremely sharp cut off beam and stay low to the ground which stops glare thrown upwards through the water mist/vapour/particles, you should use just foglights and no headlights in really bad fog or mist conditions.

And because they are there???? You have a horn.....I assume you do not drive around with the horn on all the time? :nana

Best regards David

#5 ·
Originally posted by Boxbrownie@Mar 15 2005, 12:29 AM
I don't know about over there in the new world but here it is illegal to drive with fog lights on (front or rear) in anything but poor visibility weather, and I am afraid to say I see the most frequent abuses of that law are from BMW drivers.

Although I think Vauxhall/GM drivers are starting a challe for top position now!

Best regards David
[snapback]311711[/snapback]​
I dont think it is illegal here in southern california because I see people driving with their fogs on all the time. Suvs, trucks, regular cars, etc. I mean everyone does it. I really hate those yellow ones though, I just know an is300 is coming- It makes me want to pick a fight :nana

#6 ·
[/quote]

I dont think it is illegal here in southern california because I see people driving with their fogs on all the time. Suvs, trucks, regular cars, etc. I mean everyone does it. I really hate those yellow ones though, I just know an is300 is coming- It makes me want to pick a fight :nana
[snapback]311718[/snapback]​
[/quote]
When it comes to cars is there ANYTHING illegal in southern california? :lmao2

Although I can think of a few things that should be...like spinners on BM's.. :uggh

And although it is illegal here you wouldnt think so, so many people either don't know or could give a shit! Like driving along using a mobile phone....a big campaign here against it but I saw at least 3 drivers just on the way to work this morning chatting away on thier mobiles.....

The big problem with fog lights is that there is no legislation regarding the aiming of them...they are not covered in the annual MOT test for aim, so you can have them pointed straight at the oncoming driver if you want and of course they are not able to be dipped or turned off with the main beams....if they were covered there would be no problem using them in conjunction with dipped lights.

#7 ·
First we don't have rear fog lights in america.

Second they are legal all the time in california.

Third fog lights DO help in the fog because they are aimed really low and are supposed to light up the road underneath to fog so you can see ahead. HIGH beams would reflect off the fog and blind you, but this doesnt mean to nto use your low beams.

I don't have fog lights anymore but I used to use them in my e34 at night. Now people who drive with just fog lights and parking lights are the people who target as "dumb."

#8 ·
Originally posted by Boxbrownie+Mar 14 2005, 11:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Mar 14 2005, 11:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 08:21 AM
They are actually designed to be used in fog because they have an extremely sharp cut off beam and stay low to the ground which stops glare thrown upwards through the water mist/vapour/particles, you should use just foglights and no headlights in really bad fog or mist conditions.

And because they are there???? You have a horn.....I assume you do not drive around with the horn on all the time? :nana

Best regards David
[snapback]311717[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I know they're supposed to do that.... but as someone who's taken traffic school many many times, the DMV has been preaching what I'd said for years. As someone who never just can agree without checking it out myself, I've tried the difference while driving in fog (and there is a TON on the coast of so. cal.) and I can see none. I don't know if it's legal here to only drive with foglights on?

I meant that it's not bad for the car to use them... because they're there. As for the horn. I very rarely use it... even though with the way people drive in my city, I may as well have it on all the time! But ya, haha, you're just hilarious!
:rolleyes:

#9 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Mar 15 2005, 09:12 AM
First we don't have rear fog lights in america.

Second they are legal all the time in california.

Third fog lights DO help in the fog because they are aimed really low and are supposed to light up the road underneath to fog so you can see ahead. HIGH beams would reflect off the fog and blind you, but this doesnt mean to nto use your low beams.

I don't have fog lights anymore but I used to use them in my e34 at night. Now people who drive with just fog lights and parking lights are the people who target as "dumb."
[snapback]311729[/snapback]​
1. Yes I thought so...

2. That doesnt suprise me... :laughhead:

3. Yes they do, but of course headlight design has come forward so much in recent years that the use of a good ellipsoid is as good as an old design of fog light in that the cut off area is better defined. And of course if you happen to have remote manual adjustment (as we do here in europe) of the dipped beam, when its foggy weather you can just aim them lower to reduce glare, and it works!

And it annoys me too, especially these twats that drive around on just parking lights thinking that just because they can see where they are going other people can see them to! Probably on their mobile phones at the same time! :banghead

Best regards David

#11 ·
Originally posted by Boxbrownie@Mar 14 2005, 11:51 PM
When it comes to cars is there ANYTHING illegal in southern california? :lmao2
[snapback]311721[/snapback]​

Apparently, since my first ticket ever was because I had on my highbeams on an empty road with NO street lights and I couldn't see anything. The cop came up behind me and gave me a ticket for it... It was 2 weeks before x-mas and I was even on my way to a x-mas party. I hate cops, I really really hate them.

Okay, that's all.

#12 ·
[/quote]

Yes, I know they're supposed to do that.... but as someone who's taken traffic school many many times, the DMV has been preaching what I'd said for years. As someone who never just can agree without checking it out myself, I've tried the difference while driving in fog (and there is a TON on the coast of so. cal.) and I can see none. I don't know if it's legal here to only drive with foglights on?

I meant that it's not bad for the car to use them... because they're there. As for the horn. I very rarely use it... even though with the way people drive in my city, I may as well have it on all the time! But ya, haha, you're just hilarious!
:rolleyes:
[snapback]311735[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thats exactly the point I was making in my post above, todays dipped headlights can actually be better in bad conditions such as fog than genuine foglights, because they have a better defined cut off beam than old designs of foglights, most of which are still just reflector type.

I think the only time I use my horn is to get the bloody birds (feathered) out of the roads around here, a bloody great big pheasent in your grill don't arf make a mess missus! :blink:

Best regards David

#13 ·
Originally posted by BeachBunny+Mar 15 2005, 09:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeachBunny @ Mar 15 2005, 09:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Boxbrownie@Mar 14 2005, 11:51 PM
When it comes to cars is there ANYTHING illegal in southern california?  :lmao2

Apparently, since my first ticket ever was because I had on my highbeams on an empty road with NO street lights and I couldn't see anything. The cop came up behind me and gave me a ticket for it... It was 2 weeks before x-mas and I was even on my way to a x-mas party. I hate cops, I really really hate them.

Okay, that's all.
[snapback]311744[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Your joking? Thats crazy.......I guess........late at night.........young driver.....cops needed to up their tally that week I suppose?

For driving on mainbeam on an unlit road...did you check out the legality of that after?

#14 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Mar 15 2005, 09:26 AM
Haha David.

I've never heard of that Remote Manual nonsense but I guess it's just you crazy europeans and your infamous fog related technology :)
[snapback]311741[/snapback]​
Yes us crazy peeps over here eh?

Its actually designed to compensate for loading of the vehicle, for example if your towing or have so much gold bullion in the boot/trunk again your dipped beams could blind other drivers, so we have electrical manual adjustment of the dipped beam.

Except in the case that HID's are fitted, then the levelling has to be automatic.

best regards David

#16 ·
Originally posted by Boxbrownie+Mar 15 2005, 12:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Mar 15 2005, 12:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 09:31 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Boxbrownie
@Mar 14 2005, 11:51 PM
When it comes to cars is there ANYTHING illegal in southern california?  :lmao2

Okay, that's all.
[snapback]311744[/snapback]​
Your joking? Thats crazy.......I guess........late at night.........young driver.....cops needed to up their tally that week I suppose?

For driving on mainbeam on an unlit road...did you check out the legality of that after?
[snapback]311746[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I should have, I'd probably have won... but I was like 17 and stupid. And ya, it was the end of the month... I was even in my first car (84 jetta), so he couldn't even judge me by my CAR! Ugh. By now, I've just decided that cops are horrible people. As for that one in particular, I've come to believe he had a small dick and no family... and so x-mas is his time to torture all of the happy people in the world.

#17 ·
[/quote]

Easy beachbunny............just teasing :poke
[snapback]311750[/snapback]​
[/quote]

But... but... you just quoted yourself? I don't get it... But I did know you were joking?

#19 ·
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 09:49 AM

[snapback]311746[/snapback]​

I should have, I'd probably have won... but I was like 17 and stupid. And ya, it was the end of the month... I was even in my first car (84 jetta), so he couldn't even judge me by my CAR! Ugh. By now, I've just decided that cops are horrible people. As for that one in particular, I've come to believe he had a small dick and no family... and so x-mas is his time to torture all of the happy people in the world.
[snapback]311751[/snapback]​
17 we get past :nope , stupid is harder to shake off :idea2 , end of the month? rather not go there ta! :uggh

Sounds like you got a real raw deal on that one.....and your judgement of his situation was probably correct :lmao2

Best regards David

#20 ·
Easy beachbunny............just teasing :poke
[snapback]311750[/snapback]​
[/quote]

But... but... you just quoted yourself? I don't get it... But I did know you were joking?
[snapback]311752[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah I know....well I am supposed to be working :lmao2

Don't always check before I leap :cry

Oh well......job to do for a while now.....check in again later.....

best regards David

#21 ·
i drive with my foglights on 24/7 and have never had any problems with cops or anyone else.

Reactions: jnstrcklnd
#22 ·
Back to just the way they look... I'll admit, I'd put them on once or twice before because I saw someone else do it... After one time,I realized that the pain of turning them on and off wasn't worth the opinion of random people on the road. Keeping my car clean makes me feel much more proud. The last time I tried it, I stood in front of my car and checked out how it really looked... and I wasn't impressed at all. :dunno

#23 ·
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 10:30 AM
Back to just the way they look... I'll admit, I'd put them on once or twice before because I saw someone else do it... After one time,I realized that the pain of turning them on and off wasn't worth the opinion of random people on the road. Keeping my car clean makes me feel much more proud. The last time I tried it, I stood in front of my car and checked out how it really looked... and I wasn't impressed at all. :dunno
[snapback]311771[/snapback]​
Well work didnt take that long! :D

I have to admit that I do like the look of the foglights on the car, but actually during the day when they are turned off, it nicely balances the "down the road" view, I don't have any fitted at the moment but would like to fit them if only for the way it looks, but I would never use them.......so its like the leather trim I was pondering, I like the look but not a practical addition....if I see some going cheap on ebay I will get them......maybe :lol:

Best regards David

#24 ·
Originally posted by Boxbrownie+Mar 15 2005, 01:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Mar 15 2005, 01:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 10:30 AM
Back to just the way they look... I'll admit, I'd put them on once or twice before because I saw someone else do it... After one time,I realized that the pain of turning them on and off wasn't worth the opinion of random people on the road. Keeping my car clean makes me feel much more proud. The last time I tried it, I stood in front of my car and checked out how it really looked... and I wasn't impressed at all.  :dunno
[snapback]311771[/snapback]​
Well work didnt take that long! :D

I have to admit that I do like the look of the foglights on the car, but actually during the day when they are turned off, it nicely balances the "down the road" view, I don't have any fitted at the moment but would like to fit them if only for the way it looks, but I would never use them.......so its like the leather trim I was pondering, I like the look but not a practical addition....if I see some going cheap on ebay I will get them......maybe :lol:

Best regards David
[snapback]311773[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

What, what? You would never use them? But you said they helped! I guess u don't need them THAT much, huh, huh??? :nana Well, if you're going to get some, get the fancy pants ones you were talking about... :haha

You must not have fog in your neck of the woods?

#25 ·
Can't bring myself to read all this, but I will say one thing.

The headlights and foglights of bmw's are the true face of our cars!

I never feel like I'm truely driving a bmw at night unless my fogs are on!

These pics were taken before I installed my angel eyes...but still...you gotta agree it looks sick...

#26 ·
[snapback]311773[/snapback]​
[/quote]

What, what? You would never use them? But you said they helped! I guess u don't need them THAT much, huh, huh??? :nana Well, if you're going to get some, get the fancy pants ones you were talking about... :haha

You must not have fog in your neck of the woods?
[snapback]311774[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thats right, the older design of fog lights were better than the older style of dipped beams in fog, but now with ellipsoid dipped beams the older foglights do not perform as well as dipped beams do in fog conditions. I have fog lights (ellipsoid) on my other car and they never get used, the fog would have to be really thick and I mean seriously short visual distance for them to be used....and so no I don't really NEED them, but I do like the way they look fitted, not turned on, but just during daylight. they would be just a styling addition.
Fancy pants ones? Which ones? I do like the crystal look versions, look cool with the clear glass.....probably crap in the fog though! :lol:

And actually contrary to popular belief in the US (damn Disney, Mary Poppins and Dick van **** :nope ), we don't get much fog here where I am ( we cleaned our smog up quite early unlike some areas of the world! :nana ), I expect you get more fog/sea mist on your west coast than I do here in Essex!

:poke

Hope you day stays clear and sunny............

best regards David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.