BMW Werkz banner

Whining noise when engine cold!

19K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  caodan2010 
#1 ·
Hi guys! Ok I seem to be having a problem with my car and I can't seem to figure out where the problem is. It is winter time right now so the engine gets pretty cold when the car has been off overnight. When I start the car in the morning, I hear a sort of a whining noise coming from the engine. When I accelerate, the noise seem to increase in pitch and becomes high pitched until the car gets to about 60km/h or so and then it fades out. It returns again when the car comes to a stop. However, the noise goes away once the engine has fully warmed up to normal operating temperature. Also, when I'm turning, I can hear sort of a rattling kinda like something is skipping as it rubs across something else? What could this problem be?

#5 ·
abs wouldn't whine, and if it were defaulting, the abs warning light would be on. i do not belive this is the noise culprit. (that being said, you may still have an abs issue, just not related to the noise...)

here's what i suggest. start the car with the hood up and listen to where the noise is coming from. it could be the power steering pump, it could be the trans pump, it could be the air pump, or even a belt or bearing noise.

a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver or wooden dowel (like from a 4th of july flag) can be used to listen in on areas or components where you think the noise may be coming from.

good luck, and be careful around the moving parts.

df

#6 ·
hi guys, thanks for replying. I think it could possibly be the power steering pump. When i start the car and its cold, the steering is really heavy but as the car warms up, it gets better. That seems to me like the pump. I'll try what you said drivinfaster and see what i can get it.

#10 ·
check steering fluid level. Check also for proper brake fluid level - lack of brake fluid can cause a whine also in the ABS pump.

other than that, whining noises are always, always the result of a part that rotates, turns, or spins.

the rattling you complain of in a turn, could be a loose wheel bearing. and it could be the reason for your abs light to come on(i.e. sensor damage). A scan of your DME will confirm this. or u can try an rock your front wheels manually to check

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.