BMW Werkz banner

Whining noise

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ludakrisb86 
#1 ·
My 94 325i convertible just started making this noise from what sounds like the trunk or where the convertible top is stored when down. Whenever I lock or unlock my doors, I get this terrible screech/whine. It happens in every lock, including the trunk. It also happens with the top up/down. Locks work fine, except now sometimes the trunk won't lock/unlock the central locking system. Convertible top works fine. It also happens for a second when I put the top up/down.

Any help would be appreciated???

#3 ·
Furious said:
you pretty much answered your own question. or at least where to look first

-noise from trunk
-only when you lock or unlock
-trunk sometimes wont lock.

start looking at the trunk locking mechanism, and the central locking system
haha, exactly ;)

probably a faulty locking mechanism in the trunk. test it and if it is indeed faulty just buy a replacement part from bavauto.com or something.

#4 ·
Well I'm pretty new to BMW's. I used to have a DSM that I know way too much about. I didn't know if anyone else has had this problem before.

I checked the Bentley and Haynes manuals and didn't find anything on how to test the lock mechanisms. How do you test them? Is there anyway to shut off the central locking so everyone in the parking lot doesn't stare at me when I unlock my doors?

#11 · (Edited)
Torque said:
It just so happens that our locking mechanicsm are 7 bolt ...
From what I've gathered, they're just as big of a pain. I've been looking everywhere online for about a week now and this central locking seems like a POS.

triggrhaapi said:
Yeah, unfortunately german cars come with crappy cleaning equipment, not like the efficient mexican maids that come with DSMs.
I got hosed, my car didn't come with the Mexican maid or trunk monkey option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.