Where is the tow hook? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RichM is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Where is the tow hook?

Hi there,

Where is the front tow hook on a 1995 E36? I know there is a flap with a screw thread so that a tow hook can be connected on the rear, but there isn't one on the front..

Yesterday some chav managed to get his car stuck in a ditch, his back wheels were off the ground. I came along and offered a hand, but given the fact that I was in a lane, it was rather difficult to turn around and connect it up via the rear.

Any ideas? I assume there is one somewhere..

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
On my E36 M3, there's one in the front bumper behind the trim strip. You should notice that the trim strip is different on one side than the other--I think the right side/US passenger side/UK driver's side has an interruption in the trim, and that's where the threads are for the front. You just pry off that shorter section of trim and eureka, there are your threads.

I assume you're UK given you know what a chav is.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
In the tool kit ?

You have to take the actual "Tow Hook" out of the trunk's tool kit and screw it into the front mount.
There's no permanently mounted hook up front.

-Mike
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
n00b

thooper41 is on a distinguished road
whats a chav?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
On my E36 M3, there's one in the front bumper behind the trim strip. You should notice that the trim strip is different on one side than the other--I think the right side/US passenger side/UK driver's side has an interruption in the trim, and that's where the threads are for the front. You just pry off that shorter section of trim and eureka, there are your threads.

I assume you're UK given you know what a chav is.
Thanks for the replies.

Would it be risky to use the detachable hook to pull a car out of a ditch? It doesn't look as strong as a typical hook that you'd find on a typical car.

In response to another reply, a chav is a UK stereotype used to refer to rough person, usually someone with little regard for other people, often intimidating and usually lacking an education. They usually hang out in gangs with their cars. I am not quite sure on the US equivalent, gangster maybe?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM
They usually hang out in gangs with their cars. I am not quite sure on the US equivalent, gangster maybe?
We like to call them scrotes (as in...um, well. scrotum) around my house.

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM
Thanks for the replies.

Would it be risky to use the detachable hook to pull a car out of a ditch? It doesn't look as strong as a typical hook that you'd find on a typical car.
That's funny that you asked that, doing a mythbuster of my own at a salvage yard in my home state, we hooked the yard car hauler up to the screw in tow hook on a stripped e36 318 (less motor and trans) to see how strong it was. It lifted the car off the ground, so it's rather strong. (not so much that I'm willing to stand under it that is)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
That's funny that you asked that, doing a mythbuster of my own at a salvage yard in my home state, we hooked the yard car hauler up to the screw in tow hook on a stripped e36 318 (less motor and trans) to see how strong it was. It lifted the car off the ground, so it's rather strong. (not so much that I'm willing to stand under it that is)
That sounds interesting. Did you take any pics?

- Rich
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yes, the hook is that strong. I had my 328i pulled out of a ditch once using that hook. I also had the same car pulled up onto a fltbed tow truck using the same hook.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
As previously mentioned. It's located in your tool kit in your trunk. Pull it out. Screw it in behind the bumper trim. Get 'ir done.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)