Where to get new convertible top installed in Tennessee? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kampammam is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Where to get new convertible top installed in Tennessee?

New to the forum, but looks very cool. Bought my daughter a 97, 325i convertible. Knew the top didn't work when I bought it. Replaced the motor up front, now it needs one in the trunk..the back window stitching has let go, and so I'm going to replace the top at the same time as the motor, and hopefully get a working convertible out of it. My question is, I found a place for aftermarket tops, (any suggestions for the best place to buy one is appreciated) but does anyone know where or who can install one in the Nashville, TN area? There is a Bimmer dealership, but I'm afraid that will be cubic dollars to have them do it. Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
n00b

bgnotch is on a distinguished road
Yeah it sounds expensive. I replaced my top about 3 months ago. Went to pick a part and bought a good used top for 27.95. On ebay I bought the window and zippers right off and on. Followed the removal and installation for top replacement. You can find the instructions posted online. I was a little scared at first but with extra care and attention to detail. I did ok. Total $ spent about $150. (I ALSO BOUGHT SOME SPRAY GLUE FOR THE TOP TO FRAME) and about 6 hours. Trust yourself and pocket the money.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
n00b

kampammam is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnotch View Post
Yeah it sounds expensive. I replaced my top about 3 months ago. Went to pick a part and bought a good used top for 27.95. On ebay I bought the window and zippers right off and on. Followed the removal and installation for top replacement. You can find the instructions posted online. I was a little scared at first but with extra care and attention to detail. I did ok. Total $ spent about $150. (I ALSO BOUGHT SOME SPRAY GLUE FOR THE TOP TO FRAME) and about 6 hours. Trust yourself and pocket the money.
Yeah, the place it let go was outside the zipper. The plastic is actually in good shape. It's like the threads let go...I figure the others might not be far behind. lol Thanks for the help.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
n00b

bgnotch is on a distinguished road
If your top is in good shape and the zipper on the top is able be used with a new plastic window, on ebay I bought a new plastic window for 113.00 , the seller is in the USA so it shipped really quick it included the needle and thread and the contact cement also the instructions were with it. But anyways goodluck with that. I'm in California and I managed to get it done on a day the rain let up. Now its not raining but atleast I can drive thru a carwash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)