When to replace the coil to spark plug connectors? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
harobe is on a distinguished road
When to replace the coil to spark plug connectors?

I went to replace my spark plugs and every chamber was filled with oil. So, I am ordering the valve cover gaskets but I dont know how to determine when to replace the coil to spark plug connectors.
Any guidelines on this? My car is a 1995 325i with 220,000 miles.
Before, I got it at around 160,000 they did a valve cover gasket replacement according to a copy of the bill given to me.
Thanks!
harobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: E36 'Vert
Photos:
Turbohugh is on a distinguished road
Garage
I think physical damage is the only reason to have to replace them, (the little seals can deteriorate). Other than a quick Ohm check I cant see any other reason for replacement. I hit mine with some carb cleaner/gum cutter and some wd40 and put them back in.
Turbohugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
harobe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh View Post
I think physical damage is the only reason to have to replace them, (the little seals can deteriorate). Other than a quick Ohm check I cant see any other reason for replacement. I hit mine with some carb cleaner/gum cutter and some wd40 and put them back in.

Thanks for your thoughts!
harobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
I agree with Turbo. As far as i can tell the coil packs in my E36 are still original OEM. When i changed the spark plugs I inspected them, and again when I did the VCG I inspected them as well and they seemed fine. I still get a good spark. The boots will wear out faster then the packs though, which is good considering how expensive the packs are.

Unless you start getting a missfire I wouldnt bother replacing the coil packs.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car: E36 'Vert
Photos:
Turbohugh is on a distinguished road
Garage
I would check the ground strap if you a misfire code .. Usually the coils on each end have a braided strap that can corrode or degrade over time.

Second thing I would do is use a little dielectric grease on the coil insulators. The rubber i those pieces should not be cracked , dry-rotted, or damaged however the silicone grease can help preserve them and help suppress arching that may occur (dielectric grease acts as an insulator).. The grease will also make it easier to remove the spark plugs once its time for replacement.

I treated my coils to a blast of electrical component cleaner followed by a quick spray of WD-50 .. I did have a misfire code on one cylinder but I havnet seen it after servicing my coils and changing the plugs.
Turbohugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)