Whats Better For Tuning 2.5 Or 2.8 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mprhead5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to be getting an e36 soon and am interested in finding out which engine is better for tuning. it seems that both the 2.5 and 2.8 respond well to boltone and cam/software upgrades. but i have also noticed that it seems the 2.5l engine people have been posting better rwhp figures than some of the 2.8l engines.
I am going to keep the car all motor and am looking for 240 rwhp but i could settle for 220 if thats unrealistic. Im not looking for a parts list just some pointers on which engine will respond best to cam/software and bolton upgrades to get me where i want to be. also info on what cars have limmited slip or higher rear ratios other than the m3 since i would rather get it on the car than have to install one for 800-1200 dollars
so far i am lookinh to get possibly a 98-99 328is but want to make sure i start with the right motor.
mprhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
just buy an m3, i don't think any regular 3er comes with an lsd, with an m3, you'll get 240hp and an lsd, and prolly less than it would cost you to buy a 325 or 328 and upgrade it
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yup. get an M3 if you can. By the time you upgrade it to M3 performance levels, you will havespent more than you would have on an M3.

Insurance can be high for an M3 though, so get quotes comparing an M3 with a 325 or 328.
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
get the 328, you have a bit more to work with than the 325
Old 07-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
yeah once you get the 325 manifold, the m50 on a 328 you will then basically respond to mods as well as a 325 would, but you will have more tq already. I believe.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
What about an OBDII 325i converted back to OBDI then with parts from the 328i or the M3 bolted on? Or is the 328i engine still better off?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Theres no replacement for displacement.

The 2.8 will make better numbers, but the software on the 2.5 is easier to mod.. some would disagree, and ive heard that OBDII mods are getting better and better.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst.@Jul 24 2005, 08:42 PM

The 2.8 will make better numbers, but the software on the 2.5 is easier to mod.. some would disagree, and ive heard that OBDII mods are getting better and better.
[snapback]364934[/snapback]
...and you can convert OBDII to OBDI and mod however you so choose.

Always buy the newest, largest powerplant BMW offers. In this case you have more torque and mid range power to work with.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
All said above already, but I say get a 2.8, do OBDI to OBDII swap, get s50 cams, m50 intake manifold, some other m3 parts, and you'll get what you are looking for.

If you can stomach the insurance costs, just get an m3. Far less trouble and still moddable.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan+Jul 24 2005, 09:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jllphan @ Jul 24 2005, 09:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-catalyst.@Jul 24 2005, 08:42 PM

[snapback]364934[/snapback]
...and you can convert OBDII to OBDI and mod however you so choose.

Always buy the newest, largest powerplant BMW offers. In this case you have more torque and mid range power to work with.
[snapback]364938[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

True, but what about inspection?

Just wondering.. what do you personally do about that?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yes, I'm curious, because you wouldn't pass emissions if you did the swap. They don't test in all states, do they? I know I have owned a vehicle in AR for the past three years and have never gone through emissions testing.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Good bless AR... so inspections at all. Just registration.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst.+Jul 25 2005, 09:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catalyst. @ Jul 25 2005, 09:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
True, but what about inspection?

Just wondering.. what do you personally do about that?
[snapback]365015[/snapback]
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-drz328i
@Jul 25 2005, 11:33 AM
Yes, I'm curious, because you wouldn't pass emissions if you did the swap. They don't test in all states, do they? I know I have owned a vehicle in AR for the past three years and have never gone through emissions testing.
[snapback]365040[/snapback]
[/quote]

Huh? No problems with inspections.....what would cause me to fail? Visual inspection merely requires a catalytic converter, and the emission test only requires a low pollutant output, which any solidly running car should achieve.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)