BMW Werkz banner

What parts needed besides engine for swap

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  skawful 
#1 ·
I am looking to swap an engine for a 1994 318ic (current one has a lot of miles 200k and want to swap for a lower mile engine and tranny) and have a few questions.

Besides the engine itself and the tranny, do I need to get the ECU for the engine I am putting in and the odometer or can I keep the same one? I would be swapping the same year engine and one from a 318i. Would it matter if it came from a non 318i convertible?

I know this sounds like a nOOb question, but I searched the forums and could not find the anwser.

Lastly, would it be better to rebuild my current engine/tranny and if so, what is the cost (roughly) to do that at an indy bmw shop (no stealer for me).

Thanks for your anticipated responses. From the many posts I have read, there are some really smart people here who know more that I think I will ever know about BMW's.

#2 ·
If its the same model engine and tranny you dont need ecu. All you really need to do is bolt it on. Doesn't matter if it comes from the convertible. Rebuilding i would not do myself, rebuilt engines do not last very long, but its probably around 2-3k deal to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.