What Makes Bmw Engines So Good - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW-ATI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW-ATI
(Thread Starter)
Like what makes them sdo good and last so "suppuslby" long if they even last long

Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:03 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
- Its the hard-work and dedication of its engineers.

- Its the race-tested and proven technologies.

- Its not cutting the corners, and using the right material for the right component.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I mean but yall like bmw's, do normal engines typically last a long time, Im talking about "usually"

or are yall just saying their good cause yall have bmw's, but ....dont really know if their good or not?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends on how good you maintain your engine. Like if you don't change your oil regularly and rev up the engine all the time, most likely your engine won't lastly you that long.

I always rev up my engine but I also keep up with my oil changes, I have 184000 kms on engine, it has'nt given me any problems.

Also personally I believe Toyota and Honda engines tend too last a long time compare to any other engines.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
for the most part bmw engines run to pretty high mileage... but the same can be said about most toyota engines, and a lot of honda engines

David
#6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

BMWjesterFAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to add that, in addition to lasting forever when properly cared for, most German motors are over-engineered. They are built to be capable of power far beyond the stock output. In most cases, if you slap a turbo on a honda motor, you've got about 6 months before your gonna have some problems. But in either case, if you build the engine properly when you tune it, you can make a very reliable and highly modified engine. In my opinion, most German cars (That's right, I own a VW too) are designed in a way that just makes sense. I find them easier to work on. But maybe that's just because I've never owned anything else.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Good engine design:

- Since they are more efficient engines, less power is lost in the form of heat. Therefore, there is less thermal stress on the body of the engine.
- More stable mechanical vibrations reduce mecganical stress and sheer strain on the engine components

Good control structure:

- Advanced firmware that ensures adequate combustion patterns, avoiding problems that come about when less intricate algorithms are used (slower processors and/or less efficient algorithmstake longer to make computations, therefore unwanted states last longer -- this is in the range of fractions of a second, but it all adds up after several thousand miles)

These are just a few things (there are more, believe me) just so you know that there are people that know why BMW engines are good. They are not the only ones. In general, these things I mentioned are also good in all other long-lasting engines.

I happen to know these things and understand the physics and engineering design process behind it. However, when the monkey pulls on the lever, a food pellet comes down; the monkey does not know why. Themonkey does not need to know why. People that own BMWs that are going strong after 170k, 200k, 330k, or 430k miles know that these engines are good. Knowing why is not an issue if you have proof.

I am not attacking your curiosity. I just don't think that coming in and accusing us of being BMW cult followers who think the best of the brand just because we own their product is fair. We are all glad to help. We just happen to appreciate (and expect) forum courtesy.

Hopefully I have not been harsh, and the info has been helpful.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
it all depends on the driver.. and possible previous owners.. if they abuse.. then don't expect the car to run forever! but if it is babied, then the car will run forever! but u must keep up on oilchanges and other things...

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin 323is@Mar 27 2005, 09:16 PM
it all depends on the driver.. and possible previous owners.. if they abuse.. then don't expect the car to run forever! but if it is babied, then the car will run forever! but u must keep up on oilchanges and other things...
[snapback]319827[/snapback]
QFT;

I've seen beaters that need 3 tows in two weeks.. And then I've had my car, in which since I bought it (about 1.7yrs ago) it only needed a radiator (which the PO replaced for me), some belts due to a broken pulley (see, all companies cut corners to an extenmt, please) and a fe other misclanious maintanance deals. It toally goes both ways. If the previous owner's idea of an oil chnage was going to "Astroglide" from "KY" and going to the "dealer" means picking up some drugs you bought with the money you saved by not changing the oil, then yeah I'd wager he doesn't have one of them fabled 300,000mi e36s.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ah makes sense, so typically they are good engines, but driving them hard i think, wont hurt them too much

arent they meant to be driven hard?
#11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by drz328i@Mar 27 2005, 10:51 PM
Good engine design:

- Since they are more efficient engines, less power is lost in the form of heat. Therefore, there is less thermal stress on the body of the engine.
- More stable mechanical vibrations reduce mecganical stress and sheer strain on the engine components

Good control structure:

- Advanced firmware that ensures adequate combustion patterns, avoiding problems that come about when less intricate algorithms are used (slower processors and/or less efficient algorithmstake longer to make computations, therefore unwanted states last longer -- this is in the range of fractions of a second, but it all adds up after several thousand miles)

These are just a few things (there are more, believe me) just so you know that there are people that know why BMW engines are good. They are not the only ones. In general, these things I mentioned are also good in all other long-lasting engines.

I happen to know these things and understand the physics and engineering design process behind it. However, when the monkey pulls on the lever, a food pellet comes down; the monkey does not know why. Themonkey does not need to know why. People that own BMWs that are going strong after 170k, 200k, 330k, or 430k miles know that these engines are good. Knowing why is not an issue if you have proof.

I am not attacking your curiosity. I just don't think that coming in and accusing us of being BMW cult followers who think the best of the brand just because we own their product is fair. We are all glad to help. We just happen to appreciate (and expect) forum courtesy.

Hopefully I have not been harsh, and the info has been helpful.
[snapback]319783[/snapback]

No offense taken
#12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

nookatee is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nookatee
well, i'm not mechanical engineer, so i couldn't tell you why the engines are so great, but i'll tell you, i've owned an audi quattro - great, fun car to drive - as well as driven my dad's caprice, my brother's civic and my sister's passat. All nice cars in their own right, but man, Driving a BMW is like nothing else. These engines just pull like crazy right up until the redline (incidentally, making it very easy to redline). The handling is unbeatable (of course the snow is a formidable foe to these RWDs). The combination of acceleration at any RPM with the stability and response in these cars makes then true works of art.
That ain't technical, but that's just experience talkin.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Proof that they can maintain high milegae. Heeres a few months old picture of the mileage on my original M20 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01410cut.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	19085  

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

FruityOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FruityOne
i actually know of a guy with a boosted 325 that has passed 200k miles

93 325is - SOLD (white car in sig)
92 325i - 220rwhp/205rwtq (RIP)
02 GSXR 600 - 107rwhp/48rwtq
95 M3 - 220rwhp/205rwtq
President & Founder OF S50 Swap Club

THC the three most powerful letters in my veins...
#15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Fruityone@Mar 28 2005, 03:13 PM
i actually know of a guy with a boosted 325 that has passed 200k miles
[snapback]320193[/snapback]

what do you mean a boosted 325?

j/w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)