What kind of tires do you have and how do you like them? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jaardesign is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question What kind of tires do you have and how do you like them?

I have Pilot Sports right now and they are bald. So I need new tires but I dont want to spend $800 or more. Its not like I race my car, but I still would like decent tires that grip the road and offer a nice ride. Ride is probably a little more important than handling. I have stock 17'' rims. There are a ton of options on Discount Tires website starting in the $100 rang and going into the $300 range. Some of the tires in the $100 range are Z rated. Any advice on a tire type that is on the cheaper side but still a quality tire?

Thanks a lot!

- Justin -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Try General Tire Company Exclaim UHP's.

I use PS2's but if price is a concern the Exclaims are great value for money.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I really like the Khumo Ecsta ASX on my E36. Some people don't like them, but I will tell you about my experience. I am on my second set with these, and they are a very solid tire. I don't track the car, etc., but in regular spirited driving the car performed well. I felt safe driving in different weather conditions -- rain, sun, snow, etc. About $90 each on tirerack. Not too shabby if you want a good deal for the money.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Yeah the Khumo's are nice.....my brother has them on his e30 & no complaints....I went with the Toyo's Proxes 4.... 17" @ about $110. each with a V -- 240km/h or 149mph &

W(ZR) -- 270km/h or 168mph seed rating....low noise, nice ride & very good in the rain....
johnny,

#5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I also run Proxes 4's for all season in st louis. Pointless in snow. Decent but nothing special in the rain. 18" tires. Decent price, but defintely nothing to write home about in the dry.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post

dont track these tires, they are very cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
I really like the Khumo Ecsta ASX on my E36. Some people don't like them, but I will tell you about my experience. I am on my second set with these, and they are a very solid tire. I don't track the car, etc., but in regular spirited driving the car performed well. I felt safe driving in different weather conditions -- rain, sun, snow, etc. About $90 each on tirerack. Not too shabby if you want a good deal for the money.
same here, had them and I have no complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
I have Fusion HRi's, and i like them because they are dirt cheap at $50 per tire. They perform decently for stock tires, they are starting to develop a bit of road noise now, i will just rotate them.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
nokian do good value tyres,that hold on in the wet,and at speed.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
+1 though I run 245/40/17 kuhmo ecsta SPTs on all four corners. Great great tire. Good bit grippier then then ASX for roughly the same price. Ive run both the asx and spts on more then one car, keep coming back to the SPT's.

#10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I've had proxies and pilots and loved them. The proxies have a slightly less stiff side wall and seem to last longer. I am currently on some BFGoodrich G-sports and am happy with them. Not quite as sticky but should last much longer.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 PM
n00b

jaardesign is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post

Thanks for all the tips.
Decided to go with these since they are the only ones I can get today without ordering, they are cheap, and I need tires NOW. Should be fine for daily driving.

My car needs some work before I take it out on the track anyway. Although, I am interested in joining the Colorado chapter of that national BMW club.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
n00b

Ianoue is on a distinguished road
Continentals have been very good on the 330x1; however, at about 30K miles they have become noisey. Time to replace? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)