BMW Werkz banner

What I Learned Today...

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Redbullrr 
#1 ·
Ok so today I finally wanted to tackle something I had been putting off for a while.. I was going to redo my sagging headliner... and the cloth on the sunroof (bad idea!!!!!!!!) Headliner comes out fine, no problem, and we get the sunroof assembly out pretty easliy. Now we have to figure out how in the world the sunroof assembly comes apart to get the piece we need out. Well, in the process of trying to figure out the stupid thing, we ended up breaking both of the plastic hinge-type things that slide in the channels so the sunroof can move back and forth... I am assuming its not a part you can buy (correct my if I'm wrong and save me some $$!) So now we will have to look around on ebay and junk yards to find an entire new assembly (sucks!!!). So I just thought I would warn people if anyone is thinking of messing with the sunroof, DON'T DO IT! I've read how hard it is to mess with but I guess I didn't listen, stupid me! If anyone has one they wanna get rid of, please let me know! I have a 97 318i Sedan, I'm pretty sure any e36 sedan will fit it! thanks!

#4 ·
rwall23 said:
Hey! solved my own problem i think... I found out those parts CAN be purchased, which is awesome, saves me about $200... comments still welcome on how much of a dumbass I am :lol:
I am glad to learn that you took care of it.

Did you take any pics? I think the problem with my sunroof is due to those same clips being broken.

#7 ·
Yeah, i wasn't sure since the only way ive ever seen sunroofs sold is as an entire assembly, until further research where i found someone else with the same problem... and the stealership is usually a last resort for me, however in this case I will probably have to go there to get those parts... great<_<

#10 ·
How hard is it to remove the headliner, and replace the cloth. I need to do this as well. Same color, but my sh@t is sagging and driving me crazy. Also my driver side floor is wet when it rains but I suppose its from not having the seal on my sun roof. Got the car painted and still havent put that thing on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.