What in the holy mother of mary is this!?! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
acid86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to acid86 Send a message via Yahoo to acid86
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation What in the holy mother of mary is this!?!

so i was fiddling under my hood today (92' 318is) and i came across something that was loose... (not uncommon in this car), so i start to take a look at it and try to figure out what the heck it is. First off it had a pos and neg wires running into the top of it but neither were connected to anything other than the strange device itself. so i remove it completely from my car. i hooked the wires up to some power and... HOLY DOG CRAP it moved! it also made a very loud noise that was rather unpleasant when it had power hooked up to it. so me being the curious cat that i am took a screw driver to it and popped it open. its, its, its, its... a motor? what?

so yeah i'm still pondering what the crap this could be. i've googled the only two words that are on it (italian btw) "modello depositato". the direct translation is "specimen deposited"... GREAT... now what exactly does that mean to me?

i'm thoroughly confused and if any one has any idea as to what this could be please let me know...

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid86 View Post
so i was fiddling under my hood today (92' 318is) and i came across something that was loose... (not uncommon in this car), so i start to take a look at it and try to figure out what the heck it is. First off it had a pos and neg wires running into the top of it but neither were connected to anything other than the strange device itself. so i remove it completely from my car. i hooked the wires up to some power and... HOLY DOG CRAP it moved! it also made a very loud noise that was rather unpleasant when it had power hooked up to it. so me being the curious cat that i am took a screw driver to it and popped it open. its, its, its, its... a motor? what?

so yeah i'm still pondering what the crap this could be. i've googled the only two words that are on it (italian btw) "modello depositato". the direct translation is "specimen deposited"... GREAT... now what exactly does that mean to me?

i'm thoroughly confused and if any one has any idea as to what this could be please let me know...
Do you have a picture of it......did it look like this: What in the holy mother of mary is this!?!-11721433818.jpg

johnny,

#3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ yes a picture would help alot...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Do you have a picture of it......did it look like this: Attachment 27463

johnny,
i think it may have looked like that when it was new... but it seems to be missing quite a few of those pieces... know what it is? *crosses fingers and whispers "pleasepleaseplease"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
#5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
YES.. or atleast i think so... it seems to be missing some of the stuff on it but yeah... it looks similar... any clue what it is?

#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Smog pump.....Emissions....Correct name, Secondary Pump....only thing though, here in the states it was installed from 96' & up.....maybe where you live there are stricker emission regulations. Where do you live?

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
That would make sense >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Smog pump.....Emissions....Correct name, Secondary Pump....only thing though, here in the states it was installed from 96' & up.....maybe where you live there are stricker emission regulations. Where do you live?

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
i bought the car in california, which, would make sense seeing as cali is the strictest smog place i've ever known of. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

#8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
So, the question is why are you removing and disassembling parts of your vehicle without knowing what you are doing or what they are?

#9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
So, the question is why are you removing and disassembling parts of your vehicle without knowing what you are doing or what they are?
+1^, Why were you taking that out anyway?

johnny,

#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
If anyone's interested, the holy mother of Mary is St. Anne

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
If anyone's interested, the holy mother of Mary is St. Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)